9 - UNPLEASANTVILLE

BORN TO DIE
UNPLEASANTVILLE

MADELEINE became skilled in pretending she was okay. She placed a smile on her face and responded with “i’m fine” when people asked how she was. People didn’t seem to look further than her facade. Tonight, Mystic Falls highschool was hosting their famous decade dance. This year the theme was the 50s. Madeleine as usual had no date in mind and didn’t care to find one. Usually, Caroline would take the time to line up dates from Mystic Falls to Duke. However, Madeleine made it clear she was not interested.

Caroline took care of Madeleine’s outfit for her which saved the Sullivan girl a mountain of fuss. Madeleine planned to go to the Forbes house to get ready as she had zero skill in the field of hair and makeup. 

Her father had kept a close eye on her after their discussion. He knew that it was a lot to take on and wanted her to feel comfortable enough to talk about it. Madeleine acted normally in the morning, pre-witch normal, as if she didn’t know a thing about it. She accepted her breakfast, chatted about classes she was dreading and peaked interest in his work. As her watch ticked to 7:50, she stood up to leave. As she reached for her bag, Daniel stopped her. 

“Here” Madeleine turned her head to her father. Her lips parted at the necklace in his hands. Three days ago and she would’ve taken it without thought but now things had changed. She was scared at what accepting it meant for her. Her mother’s necklace, the very one Madeleine had found on Halloween, was dangling from her father’s hands. It flickered against the light, catching the blonde’s face, as if it was choosing her. “It’s a witch's talisman. It should protect you.” 

His choice of words didn’t settle her. She inhaled deeply. “Protect me from what?”

Daniel didn’t like the question. The truth was out there, he couldn’t lie anymore but he didn’t ever want his daughter to feel unsafe. “Everything.”

It was good enough. It may be true that Madeleine didn’t want an answer. She snatched the necklace from her father and clasped it around her neck. It sat perfectly on her chest. She offered her father a smile. One that said I’m fine. She vacated her home as fast as her feet could possibly take her.

She met Caroline at school. They stood by her locker as the Forbes girl talked her through the preparations for tonight's dance. Caroline, as part of the planning committee, was allowed all today to work on the dance instead of classes. As her friend, Madeleine was forced to join. Therefore, Caroline had to walk her through every last detail just in case they were separated. 

Elena, whom Madeleine hadn't seen in weeks, approached the two. She had a happy smile on her face with two hands hidden behind her back. "I come bearing gifts." She announced.

Elena revealed one hand, a silver locket grasped between her finger tips. Caroline gasped as she took the necklace from her. Elena giggled at the look of joy on her best friend as Madeleine clasped the necklace for her. 

"Elena, it's beautiful." She mused. The three began walking towards the exit as they aimed to eat their lunch outside. "What’s the occasion?" 

"No occasion, just a little friend gift" Elena shrugged. She moved her other hand and held out another jewellery piece. "and one for you, Madeleine."

Madeleine's mouth opened in shock. Elena held a bracelet in her hand of similar style as Caroline's necklace. She never expected a gift of any sorts from the brunette as they weren't that close, or even close at all for that matter. "Me?" 

Elena smiled, sweetly, fully expecting the surprised reaction from her. "I know we haven’t been the closest but I want to change that."

Gingerly, Madeleine accepted the gift. Returning the favour, Caroline clasped the bracelet around her wrist. "Why are you being so mushy?" Caroline finally asked.