10 - FOOL ME ONCE

BORN TO DIE
FOOL ME ONCE

SLEEP was hard to find that night. Madeleine tossed and turned and dreamt of demons and monsters. Her world was spinning and spinning without a sign of stopping. First witches and curses then vampires what was next? Goblins? Werewolves? Fairies? How many more surprises were lurking around the corner? 

The witch received a message from the Gilbert girl the next morning. It asked if she would join them at the Salvatore boarding house. Initially, the blonde was reluctant. However, the only people who could provide answers to her problems were the vampires themselves. She was sure not to tell her father where she was going when she left the house. The single word Salvatore would trigger the overprotective demon inside of him. She claimed to be spending the day with Caroline when she drove from her home to the boarding house. She knocked first. Adding to the spooky atmosphere that this town already held, the door creaked open with a single touch by another person. As she slowly placed one foot into the home, the murder trio sat in the parlour, awaiting her arrival. "I got your message." 

Stefan and Elena sat next to each other on the brown leather sofa as Damon placed himself on its arm. "We wanted a chance to explain." 

"That you’re vampires?" She asked, taking a few small steps forward. Stefan gestured for her to take a seat on the couch in front of them. She looked at the seat before hesitantly sitting on the cool leather. 

"And that you’re a witch." 

She froze. "How do you know that?" 

"You couldn’t be compelled which makes you a supernatural creature." Damon informed the blonde.

"Madelaine, we want you to know that you shouldn’t be scared of us. We don’t want to hurt you." The green eyed boy assured. His face spoke sincerity but it didn't make the girl any less nervous. 

"Unless necessary." The raven teased with a wiggle of his eyebrows. 

"Damon." The Gilbert girl scolded him in a harsh tone. 

"Those animal attacks, they were you?" 

"Guilty." The raven confessed confidently. He swiftly moved from the couch towards a drinks tray where he poured himself a bottle of bourbon. "For the most part. Logan Fell had a hand in some." 

Madeleine's blue eyes widened. She had known Logan Fell practically all her life. He had babysat her, he was a local celebrity. How oblivious had she been to the world around her? "Logan Fell?" 

"Don’t worry, he’s dead."

"That brings me so much comfort." She muttered sarcastically as she tried to overcome the shock. She and the Fell's weren't close but it was still taking its toll. "So, you just killed him?" 

"Mr Saltzman actually." Elena corrected. "He’s a hunter." 

Madeleine's eyebrows furrowed. "Is that a magical thing?" 

"No, he’s human." 

"But he has a magical ring that can bring him back to life." Damon revealed another piece of information as he took another sip. Madeleine's brain felt like it was exploding with this information.