Chapter 2: Late Again

Taehyung was back home after grocery shopping. He put the things he bought on the kitchen island. He sat down on the couch after putting everything to their places.
He let out a long tired sigh and shook his head. He was worried about Ayana reaching home safely. He hoped with all his might to meet that beautiful four year old again.
His hoping was not wasted. The next day in the playschool, he met her and asked her first thing, "Did you reach home safely?" She smiled brightly and nodded her head like an obedient puppy. He patted her head and asked her to play with the other kids.
He went around all the kids and spent some time with all of them. His co-workers were admiring how Taehyung loves kids and how sweet he is. The women especially had a weak spot for the handsome and charming yet the perfect husband material type Taehyung is.
Taehyung at last came to Ayana's usual area. She was alone like always. He sat beside her, earning a beautiful smile from her. He didn't know why his heart had a soft spot for her. Maybe because she did not have a mother. As Taehyung was thinking about these things, he spotted a small purple bruise on her shoulder when her dress moved a little. Ayana looked up to see her oppa looking at her shoulder. She followed his gaze and her eyes fell on the bruise. "Ayana, what or who did this?" Taehyung said pointing at her shoulder. She hurried to hide it and turned around so that her back was facing Taehyung. Taehyung pulled her into his arms and hugged her. A stray tear slipped from her eyes, which Taehyung rubbed off. She turned to look at him. Knowing his determined personality, she knew he won't back down until she tells the truth. "My father's friend did it. She was angry that I broke her glass when she handed it to me." She said now crying. Taehyung rocked her and picked her up. He led them both into the garden behind the building. He sat down under the tree, with Ayana in his arms. She sobbed on his shoulder. "Should I inform your father about his friend hurting you?" Taehyung said. Her head shot up and she immediately yelled a 'no'. Taehyung was surprised, she explained before he was going to ask about her outburst. "She told me not to tell anyone. She made me promise, now I broke it by telling you. She said she'd hurt me more if I told appa. She said she'd make our lives bad." She finished and breaks down again. Taehyung somehow knew that woman was serious. He wanted Ayana's safety. If that devil did any harm to this precious angel again, he would make sure to tell her father about all this.
He didn't realize Ayana had fallen asleep until when he got up and looked down at the little girl. He smiled fondly.

She slept through the entire day. She slept like she hadn't slept for days. To come to think of it, Ayana had slight black circles under her eyes. He felt so bad about Ayana being mistreated. He was determined if this was to be repeated he would inform that irresponsible man who happens to be her father.
Today again Ayana was the last to leave. She was still sleeping peacefully against Taehyung's chest, his arms around her and fingers occasionally playing with her hair whenever she stirred. Finally a expensive looking black car came into view. This time an older woman came out of the car. She walked up to him and smiled softly at Taehyung, which he gladly returned. "Are you working here?" She whispered, so as to not to wake up Ayana. Taehyung nodded  slightly, careful not to hit her head with his chin. "I'm her grandmother." She said gesturing at the sleeping child. Taehyung smiled, his guess was correct. "You know, I have not seen her sleeping so peacefully for a long while." The lady whispered and Taehyung's smile became shy. He lead them to the car and carefully placed Ayana on her grandma's lap. He hoped that Ayana would be safe with her grandmother and he really hoped she will not allow that woman, whoever she is, to hurt poor Ayana again.
He really was getting too attached to the girl.