Chapter 23

Chapter 23

User dedication: pinkdolphingirl97

Song/Songs dedication:
My Immortal by Evanscence

Question: What's your favorite quote/line from my story?

*****Linzey's POV*****

"Really?" I barked as Luke shot me in the head with the shot gun held in his hand. No, I don't me literally either, I'm obviously talking about the high jacked game that Zayn, Angel, Luke, and I were playing. I mean, it had to be high jacked, right? How else were these three beating me?

These three idiots could barely even hold a controller properly and yet, they we're kicking my a$$.

If you can't tell, I too, am a sore loser. I'm also very competitive. "You guys totally hacked this game!" I accused as I crossed my arms over my chest, letting a spew of curse words slip out of my mouth from under my breath. "How?" Luke gasped in disbelieve. "You tell me, cheater!" I huffed with an eye roll.

"I-I-okay, whatever you say Linzey." He sighed in defeat as he crossed his arms over his chest. Luke's face held an adorable pout that and I wanted nothing more than to kiss his puckered out lips, but I resisted as I glared at the television where the game had restarted. "You guys fight like an old married couple." Angel giggled from the floor where her and Zayn were siting. Angel had gotten a lot less shy as the moments passed, and I was beginning to become accustomed to her witty personality. I felt more calmed knowing that she wasn't as breakable as she seemed.

"Yea-" Zayn began when the loud ringing of my phone sounded from my pocket. "Hold that thought." I chuckled as I hopped up from the couch, pulling my phone from my back pocket and answering without paying any mind to the caller ID. I never really did.

"Hello?" I spoke into the phone speaker as I made my way out of the room and plopped down on the last stair of the spiraling staircase. "Hello, is this Linzey Rider?" The unfamiliar sound of a women's voice spoke through the phone. "Um, yes, this is she." I spoke in confusion, raising my eyebrow slightly. "And you're friends with Joshua Johnson, am I correct?" The person quizzed further.

"Mhm, that's correct?" I spoke questioningly as I began to nervously pick at the carpet. I didn't even know if we were friends anymore, but I'd like to think that we were. After all, we had been friends since 6th grade. I didn't understand why she was asking these questions, but what she said after that was the last thing I had expected to hear,

"Mam, I'm sorry to inform you this, but your friend has recently been admitted to the Lakeway Regional Hospital over a motorized vehicle accident and is in a very critical condition." Her voice held a hint of sorrow and a pinch of pity as she informed me of something I was far from prepared for.

"We need you to come to the hospital immediately." I didn't respond to her as all air left my lungs and the beating of my heart stilled. This couldn't be happening. This-This day---This day was beyond the worst I had ever encountered.

Why did everything have to come tumbling down at once? Why was everyone and everything raining on my parade? This day was supposed to be one of happiness, but instead it was a dreary walk through the firey pits of hell. I wanted to end the feeling of sorrow that I always carried on my shoulders and I wanted to rid myself of all of the pain I was constantly enduring, but it wasn't as simple as that, and it seemed like I was in an eternal cycle of horror that never seemed to end.

Tears leaked from my eyes and streamed down my cheeks in a waterfall of despair, before they finally hit the ground in a puddle of liquid. Josh might've done some very, very stupid things, but he was still one of my best friends, and to find out that he was in danger tore my heart to shreds. Life's a very cruel game of what if, and in that moment a lot of what ifs were circling my brain.

What if he died? What if he didn't? What if he hated me? What if I never saw his contagious smile again? What if this was the end of our long-lasting friendship?

"Sweetie, what's wrong?" Dad questioned worriedly as he came rushing down the stairs. I didn't answer him, simply handing him my phone as I brought my hands to my face and let weeps of sadness leave my mouth. "Hello?" He spoke worriedly into the phone. "Mhm." He mumbled. "Yes." He nodded. "We'll be there right away." He finally spoke as he did what I assumed was hang up the phone.

"Luke!" He called. "Get in here, now!" He yelled. "Yea-What's wrong?" I looked up watching as Luke too gave me a look of worry as he rushed to my side.

I couldn't give him a coherent answer as unknown words tumbled from my lips. "Just calm down, baby." He spoke as he took a seat beside me and pulled my body closer to the warmth of his. I laid my head on his chest, calming down at the steady sound of his beating heart. It soothed me to know that his heart still had its usual rhythmic beat.

Luke was my rock and I honestly didn't know how I could ever live without him. Actually, he wasn't my rock---He was my everything.

Once my breathing went back to normal and my tears had slowed I finally spoke, "He's hurt." I whispered so softly that I didn't think Luke had heard it until he responded, "What? Who's hurt?" He questioned confusedly with a hint of worry etched in his voice. "Josh, he's been in a terrible accident." I mumbled.

Luke was silent for several moments. I wasn't quite sure if that was a good or bad thing, however I got my answer soon enough. "Josh." Luke hissed between clenched teeth as he shrugged my head off of his chest. "You're really crying over that prick?" He barked loudly as he stood to his feet, and just like that the comforting effect had worn off.

"Yes, Luke, I am." I yelled out in anger as I too stood to my feet. "He's my friend and if crying for him is bad then sue me." I spoke in aggravation. "For once-" I paused, taking a deep breath. "For once stop being a jealous bastard and take a second to realize exactly what's going on around you." I spat as I shoved him from my path and grabbed my phone, along with mom's car keys, before darting towards the exit.

"Where are you going?" Luke spoke worriedly as he grabbed onto my wrist. "Where do you think?" I spat. "I'm going to see my friend." I glared as I yanked my arm from his grip and just like that, the fury in his eyes returned, but I ignored it as I continued my journey to the door.

Until something stopped me, but this time it wasn't a hand physically grasping my arm, it was the words that escaped Luke's mouth,

"If you go-" He paused for a moment. "If you go then I swear, I'll leave without taking a single look back."

I silently told myself he didn't mean it and hoped I was right as I ignored his threat and left, slamming the door behind me.

************
A/N: *Cries because omfg* What do you thinks going to happen? Do you think Luke means what he's saying? How do you feel about the accident?