Wine after whiskey - Carrie Underwood

"Now everything's after you is like having wine after whiskey

It went from do anything for you babe to you don't even miss me

Once you've tasted a love that strong you can't go back

And you can't settle on anything less

And that's what gets me, it's like having wine after whiskey..."

You were alone again, sitting on the living room floor in front of the fireplace with a glass of red wine in your hand. But this time it was different. This time you knew he wasn't coming back home to you.

It was over.

His words didn't lie, but hurt like hell, when he told you everything you never wanted to hear: "I'm sorry... I just don't love you anymore..."

Those words hurt you like a knife... After all the difficulties you both faced, how was it possible that he simply wanted to leave now? How was it possible that the love you had lived turned into nothing more than ashes after a fire?

You would have given your soul, your body, your mind to him. You trusted him more than anyone before. How could he just say those words to you, like nothing matters anymore?

It was over. Definitely over.

And you were drinking alone again on a Friday night, getting drunk on the memories of you and him.

"I love you so much, you know that right?", he asked, brushing a strand of hair from your face.

Lying in your bed, it was as if nothing else outside those four walls mattered. It was just you and him there. And you swear you would stay on that bed forever if only you could.

"I love you too.", you said kissing his cheek. "I think I will love you 'til the stars don't shine."

He was your first love and you always thought he would be your last too. You promised to love him until the stars stop shining, so how could he leave you?

Was someone new on his mind? Was he in love with someone else? Because you couldn't think of other reasons for him to leave you like that... No goodbyes. Just "I don't love you anymore", and he packed his things and left. You were still trying to find the right words to say when he walked out of the door.

There were no goodbyes.

Leaving you wondering: Were you that easy to leave behind?

In the last months you felt he was a little colder with you. Coming home always late with the smell of booze in his clothes and crumpled shirts.

Was anyone making love to the man you love?

And if there was a new girl in his life, would he promise her everything he had once said to you?

"I love you forever."

"I will never leave you."

"You're the only girl for me."

Maybe it was all lies. Because you don't just leave the person you love when the road gets tough. When you love someone you try to make it right, even when it's hard...

You don't say goodbye to the one you love...

And you knew someday the tears in your eyes would run dry. One day you would get over him.

Because you used to think that everything after him was like wine after whiskey.

But the truth is that you are whiskey. 

He is just a cheap red wine.

*****

What's your favorite Carrie Underwood song?