As Soon As I Hang Up The Phone - Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty

To: southernauthor

Hope you like it! :) (Sorry for taking me too long to write it.)

*****

Loretta's eyes were red from crying too much... She was trying so hard to stop the hiccups and the tears from falling. Sitting all by herself in her lonely bed, she wished she would have never crossed paths with Conway. She loves him too much... and sometimes loving too much can only hurt you...

She loves him. Very much.

But he doesn't...

She should have known from the start that she and Conway would never be together after that summer touring the United States to promote their music. She must be crazy if she thought Conway could ever feel for her half of what she felt for him. Conway had his family... Damn; he had a wife and children waiting for him at home.

She had been only his summer mate, enough to sleep on his side, but never enough to be loved by him. But during those three summer months, Loretta lied to herself that everything would be all right ... believing he could love her, if only a little. Because maybe it was true what they said: that a little love was better than nothing.

Now winter had come, and outside the rain was pounding against the windows in a soft melancholy melody that reminded her of the memories of those summer days. Suddenly, as she cradled slowly to the sound of the rain, the phone beside her rang, making her heart race. No one ever called her phone ... well, no one except...

"Hello...", She said as soon as she picked the phone.

"Hello Loretta.", The voice of Conway sounded from the other side of the line making her heart race.

"Darling' I knew it was you..."

"Loretta, there's something I just got to tell you.", He wasted no time to say.

Loretta knew what he was going to say... and she wasn't sure if she wanted to hear those painful words that would break her heart...

"Oh, please tell me what to do...", She said. Loretta loved him... Why wasn't that enough?

"I don't really know how to say this but I want to tell you that I..."

"You gave me the will to go on as soon as I picked up the phone.", She cut him off.

"No. No, you don't understand Loretta. I'm trying to tell you that I..."

"The talk is around that we're through."

"Yeah I know I've heard it too...", He confessed.

She stayed quiet for a while before speaking again:

"Oh darling, tell me what to do..."

"But that's just it, that's what I'm trying to tell you, I want to tell you that..."

"I knew you'd tell me they were wrong as soon as I picked up the phone.", She said, feeling inside her heart breaking into a million pieces.

"I'm sorry Loretta, I'm really really sorry.", Conway said. "You've just got to believe me that I never meant to hurt you."

"But I can't believe you've been gone..."

"This is the hardest thing that I've ever had to do and it hurts me too..."

She took a deep breath and felt tears stream down her cheeks. She knew it would be over by the time she hung up the call... that love she dreamed would be nothing more than memories of a summer that seemed to last forever.

Now, she just had to forget about Conway. God knew how hard it would be to forget the love of her life, but there was nothing she could do to make him love her... Because the truth was that sometimes love is not enough...

"Goodbye Loretta.", He said on the other side of the call, and she knew this was the last time she would hear his voice.

She would surely miss him.

"Bye, Conway.", she said, and hung up the phone.