Don't close your eyes - Chris Young

Inspired by the song: Don't close your eyes by Keith Whitley

Hope y'all like ♥️

*****

I would like to know what you were thinking as I drove towards your house and you looked through the window to see the headlights illuminate the road.

On the radio there was a country song that you liked but this time you were quiet. You looked at me when you realized that I was watching you and smiled. I wish I knew what you were thinking about that head of yours ... And I think I knew the answer to that question of mine, but I didn't want to believe you were still thinking about him. I know you loved him, a long time ago and that sometimes you still thought about him and the love you both had shared. And as much as I was your best friend and made you smile I knew you still thought about that man sometimes...

I just wish I could hold your face in my hands and kiss your lips. He broke your heart and hurt you so much, but if you were mine I would never hurt you...

Her house was a few blocks away and I changed the radio station where a romantic song made me think even more about the feelings that I have hidden from her for so long.

I'm in love with my best friend.

But could she ever feel the same for me?

When I parked the car on her front yard, the headlights were illuminating the house. By my side, she stayed quiet for a bit, like she didn't want to go home yet.

"Are you okay?", I asked.

She was different all night. She smiled and laughed but I could tell there was something different in her.

"I don't know...", she finally said and looked at me. "He has another girl. I saw the pictures."

And there she was talking about him again. How could she not see that she deserved so much better than a cheater and a liar?

"I know I should move on... I'm really trying Chris...", she continued and then she became closer to me letting her head lean against my shoulder.

For a moment I almost forgot how to breathe... Of course we had been this close before (we are best friends), but sometimes I feel this urge to tell her the truth... To tell her I love her.

"You deserve much better...", I mumbled.

"I know...", she says.

And we just stay there in silence for long moments. And I almost open my mouth to tell her that three words I've been dying to tell her, but I stay quiet.

"Can you stay?", she suddenly asks and stands straight, looking at me. "Please...", and I must stayed in silence for too long because she talked again, "Stay the night..."

A little smile appeared on my lips.

"Sure, honey."

***

I don't really know how it all happened because at one point I was getting out of my truck and she took my hand when we walked through the front yard, now lit only by the distant stars in that night sky.

She let go of my hand while opening the house door, but even before pushing the door in she got closer to me. His small body was next to me and his right hand held mine. In the starlight her eyes seemed to shine.

"Kiss me...", she murmured.

For a moment I wondered if I had really heard those words.

Her lips were warm against mine. I could taste the whiskey in our mouths when the kiss deepened a little with her hands holding my shirt to keep me close to her body, as if we could merge into one body.

And I don't know how we got past a kiss at the front door of your house, so I'm being led towards her room.

There was a kind of longing in us when our kisses became more intense with my hands trying to unbutton the buttons on her shirt. I didn't quite know how it all happened and how I was now there, in her room, feeling her warm breath against my neck and her shaking hands as they took off my clothes.

The only light that came in through the window illuminated our bodies in that bed. We didn't say anything; we just kept getting involved in that moment with her touch on my skin and our kisses. She deserved to be loved by someone who knew how to love her... And if she gave me a chance I promised I would do anything to see her smile.

Her eyes were closed when I kissed her whole body for a long time.

"Don't close your eyes...", I asked, and she slowly opened her eyes. "Let yesterday go, and you'll find more love than you'll ever know. Just hold me tight when you love me tonight and don't close your eyes... "

♥️ ♥️ ♥️

♥️ ♥️ ♥️