Get Excited

“I want to go into space,” I say as a proud first grader. On the blackboard behind the teacher the question ‘What do I want to be when I grow up?’ writing large for us all to see.

“Oh, an astronaut, how wonderful if you work har-”

“No,” I interrupt our teacher. “I’m going as soon as possible.”

I hear awes from the rest of the classroom and a particularly large one from behind me. Someone was impressed. After class let out, as I gathered my bag someone meek came up to me. They were looking to the ground. “You want to go to space?” I nodded as he looked up. “Can I come too?”

I looked at him for a moment. Letting the request sink in. “Hmm,” I hummed. “Sure, it’s only logical that I’ll need someone there with me.”

His face lit up like a Christmas tree and I couldn’t help but smile back.
Though I never saw him again after that day, nor did I even know his name. I smiled, looking up out of the window. “I wonder if you’ve made it up there like my old man,” I mused, staring at the stars. “How you doing old man? Enjoying the view from up there? Might as well, seeing as you’ll be back in the spring.”

My old man is currently out there, amongst the stars and has been for about a year now. He’s due back this spring. Bet he won’t be able to shut up about anything but at least he finally fulfilled his dream. I sighed, flopping onto my bed, bouncing slightly from the impact. Tomorrow, a new school year starts and club applications open. I wonder who will be joining the science club this year.

---

As we walked into the classroom, class felt like any other day. It’s the first day back and I’m in the same class as Taiju while Yuzuriha is in the other class this year. I’m going to have to deal with a depressed Taiju who over exaggerates his feelings about Yuzuriha. We checked the sitting assignments at the front before heading to our dedicated seats. As I walked to the back of the room, I noticed a girl I didn’t recognise. Brown mousy hair tied up tightly in a bun and behind her glasses I noticed her blue eyes. Unusual, though she does seem to be foreign. She looked up at me and I jumped a little. “Good morning,” She greet as I took my seat. “I guess we’ll be desk neighbours this year.”

“Seems it,” I smirked, my desk the right of hers. “I don’t believe I've seen you here before.”

“I’m a transfer student,” She explained. “My family and I have just come here from London.”

I mused for a moment. Her Japanese isn’t as broken as I would expect of someone who’s lived out of the country. I went to open my mouth to ask the question when the bell rang, every teenager in the room taking this opportunity to run to take their new sitting assignments. Lucky for me Taiju was sitting the other end of the classroom, kukuku no distractions from you begging for help this year. “Alright class, welcome to a new year,” The teacher greeted. “You may notice we have some new faces in class this year so we’ll start with a welcoming exercise. You’ll stand up, give your name and what interestd you have.”

One by one students went. Though we pretty much all know each other but this just helps the new transfers learn a couple of names and people they will potentially have interests with. Then it was here turn. “Hi, I’m Emiria Caswell,” She bowed. “And I would like to join the science club. My main interest of science is observational science and would like to use the club to help me understand if I should turn my hobby into a career.”

Observational science huh? People continued on and then it was my turn. “I’m Senku Ishigami,” I introduced. “I’m the president of the science club.”  I looked over and Emiria just stared at me, a slight pink tint in her cheeks. Guess she wasn’t expecting that huh. “And I'll gladly expect your club application. So, get excited.”