Deal

I groaned, trying to get my tea adjusted correctly. I never really have been that good at ties. Never figured I would need to master the art of a tie seeing as all I will ever really wear is a lab coat. I heard a laugh behind me, looking up and seeing Lillian in the reflection. She grabbed my shoulder, using it to turn me around and started to fix my tie for me. "Today is an exciting day for you," She sighed happily.  "You dad is really proud of you." 

"I can imagine," I chucked. "Though, can't help but feel that today is missing something." 

"I know," Lillian gave a sad smile. "But she'll be waiting for you when you're done." I jumped slightly as my step mother pulled me into a tight hug. "Just remember, she's stronger because of you." 

"I know she is," I stated. We pulled apart and I felt somewhat calmer. "Well, guess I'll go get my shoes and then I'll be off." 

We made our way downstairs, I walked to the shoes, finishing off my look when Ria came up to me. Her mannerisms indicating her nerves regarding today. "All the best," She cheered my on. "When you come back, your dad said we could order from your favourite ramen place." 

I nodded, "Sounds like a good plan." I raised my hand, placing it on her head. "You take case of yourself today. Don't want to get all puffy faced for your interview tomorrow." 

A small tear feel down her cheek but didn't diminish her smile. "Only if you promise to do your best," She laughed.

"Deal." 

--

I took a deep breath, sitting in the waiting room situated just outside the interview room. Three people have gone before, all different reactions shown on their faces and next up was, "Ishigami." Me. 

I smirked, getting up and following the person who called my name. I was escorted into the room, the interview board who previously attended our school festival. I watched the elderly of the interviews look through my, what I assume, is my application. "Ishigami?" He mused. "Ah yes, Byakuya's boy." 

"Yeah, he's my old man," I chuckled. 

"Like father like son it seems," Another interviewer commented. Yeah, I suppose it is. The questions continued and then the last one came up which shocked me. "Tell us Senku, why are you so adamant on joining JAXA at this young of age?" 

I thought for a moment, thinking the answer should be obvious. I love space, more than my father, more then anyone would. Then an image of Ria and her smile came through my mind. She was rejected for this interview when we agreed as children i would take her to space with me. "Since I was a kid," I started. "I've loved space and I even had an assistant lined up to go with me. Other then my old man and myself, I never knew someone love space as much, then I met her. Through all the hard times, this person stayed by my side and what was once a selfish dream, before long became one I started to share with this person. Though I wouldn't tell her to her face, I can't imagine her not being by my side in this journey." 

"Oh, this person, did she help you along then way?" Another interview asked. 

I laughed, shaking my head. "Not quite," I started to explain. "But she made it much more fun for me. She is logical and loves space and all things that can be explored and this opened new horizons to me. It's only right that I continue our dream and head up there and continue exploring for both of us." 

I think that won the board over as I saw each one of them smile. Seems you have helped me out more then you expected Ria. Thank you. 

--

As I entered the house, I was bombarded by Lillian and my old man, asking how my interview went. I attempted to calm them down and explained I would get the results of the interview in 48 hours. The let me go free once the integration was over, I headed to the back, seeing Ria sitting there, tub of ice cream in hand. I raised a brow, for someone who had to go to court today, she's in a good mood. She turned to me with a large smile. "Look at you looking all fancy," She laughed, holding a spoon out for me as I sat beside her. I took the spoon, scooping myself up some ice cream. "How was your day? Think it went well." 

I swallowed a piece of ice cream as I nodded. "I think i made a pretty good impression," I stated. "You seem a bit to happy for someone who went to court." 

I was surprised, as my old man's laughter cam e from behind. Ria's smile grew wider. "I told her to shove off," Ria laughed and i was shocked. 

My old man sat behind Ria, patting her shoulder. "They wanted a witness statement for Ria's mother to apply for parole. Ria, point blank went." 

In unison they said; "She shot me," and continued to laugh before Ria continued. "I told them, my mom is the person who has been looking after me the past year, I don't need this woman in my life anymore." 

"Good for you," I smirked, taking more ice cream. I have not a millimetre of doubt that Lillian was who she referred to as 'mom.' "Now, impress tomorrow as JAXA can't find a reason to not recruit both of us." 

"Deal."