Experiments

I raised a brow, staring at Hina, the president of the music club. "You want the science club to design a mic for your band practice?" I questioned.

She bowed, starting to scream frantically. "Please, our vocals are massively off." I sighed, getting her to look up at me. "We need a way to get better and quick so we can take part in the school festival."

I put my finger to my chin, interesting. This would make for a fun project, I suppose. "And what do we as a science club, get out of this arrangement?" I smirked. You got to give a little to get a little.

Hina blushed. 10,000 percent sure she has not thought this through. "I um," She began to stutter."

"Don't be mean Senku," Ria sighed walking into the lab, her usual glasses and her hair tied up. "Say Hina, why not just help cover the costs of materials?" Hina smiled widely, and nodded enthusiastically. Without another word, she leapt out the lab. Ria stuck her tongue out, throwing her bag onto the work bench. "It doesn't kill you to be kind, does it?"

I let out a 'hmph' slipping on my lab coat. "They want a mic that will indicate when their vocals drop below or above pitch," I explained, sitting at the bench as Ria began to set up the flasks. I watched carefully as she started to place contents in a beaker, filling it with water then placing it over a flame. "Think it would be worth it? It's not like we would be gaining anything from making an uninspiring device."

Ria hummed along with the whistle the flame. Her face showed she was deep in thought as she took the liquid from the beaker and placed it in a cup. I started to laugh lightly, she learnt to could make tea in the lab, using the beakers to look like an experiment and no one would notice. "Well, this would be a good chance to integrate the two groups," She started to explain. "We would get the word out about the capabilities of the science club."

"That would provide a benefit because?" I stretched out the word 'because.'

"Do you not need more people in the club?" She asked, leaning over the lab to look me in the eyes. Bump-bump! "A few more people in the club would provide a bigger budget for the club which means you get access to more materials. Alternatively, the teachers find out about the work you do for other clubs and up the budget that way. It's one of your favourite situations; a win-win."

She smirked and I smirked with her. That is a logical answer. Getting more materials would be the best way to further express the evolving of the club. "Alright," I said, taking a sip of my tea. Hmm, beaker tea actually tastes good. "I'll agree to it, providing you document everything. From meeting with their clubs, to time the mic fails and every time someone takes interest in science."

Ria stood tall, saluting, "Mission accepted."

"I will also need you to donate your voice," Her smile suddenly dropped. "Logically, I'll need a decent voice to help with the tuning, your voice is a perfect example to use."

She started to stutter, her mouth hung open, trying to get a sentence out. I chuckled, it's funny watching her stammer. Finally, she started to speak. "I-I don't know about that," She raised her left arm, her hand playing with the right forearm. "My mot-my parents aren't exactly thrilled at the idea of me partaking in music activities."

I lifted a finger to my chin, thinking about a solution. I snapped my fingers, "It's a science experiment., not a music activity," I grinned, earning a confusing look. "We're simply experimenting sound waves and how-to perfect tones using sound waves and vibrations in music equipment."

Ria's face lit up. "Exactly, we're simply doing some experiments," She nodded agreeing with my loophole. "When do we start?"

"As soon as possible," I grinned, knowing that this was going to be interesting.