It Was Fun

The remainder of the festival went well. Yuzuriha was honoured best designer by the craft club, Taiju fawned over her for the remainder of the day, treating her to the deserts in our café, which proved more popular in the afternoon. I can’t think why? It's not like one of our members just performed in the main hall or anything?

After we finished up, my old man took Lilian outside to get a good view for the fireworks while I headed to the roof.  I thought I would be on my own as I leant over the railing, only to be shocked by a cool sensation being placed on my neck. I turned, Ria, back in her school uniform, holding some ice teas. I smiled, taking one off her as she leant over the railing beside me.  “Though you would be with your old man,” I commented taking a sip.

Ria shook her head. “He wanted to wonder around and try out some of the food booths,” She laughed. “Besides, I'd rather be up here after a hectic day.”

“I can see why some peace and quiet would be wanted,” I agreed. “Thank you for the hard work today.”

“I should thank you,” I looked over, Ria staring into her cup as her hands played with the condensation. “You’ve made my school like more exciting than I ever imagined it could be. In fact, it’s ten billion times better than anything I hoped for.”

I smiled, taking my free hand and patting her head. She groaned as I messed with her hair. “You really are a big dummy,” I laughed taking my hand back. “But know, the science club is happy you decided to join us. Ria, you help make things exciting. Even if your clumsy ass knocks over the experiment in the process.”

“Thanks for the back handed compliment,” She laughed and we looked down. The bonfire and the music had started, the closing ceremony is coming closer. “Despite the back handed comments, I glad I could join you to the end of an awesome day.”

I continued to smile, listening to her words and watching the people below. I chuckled pointing over to Taiju and Yuzuriha trying to work out how to hold hands to dance. "Looks like they both got the courage this time around.”

We were quiet as we watched the people below dancing. The words she previously said to me ringing my ears, “Want to join me?” Ria didn’t understand what she was asking and still doesn’t, I want to keep it that way. “Hey Ria,” I got her attention. “I have an experiment I’m working on, until I know the results, will you stay my assistant?” I felt my heart pound as I asked the question.

“Senku I-I um -”

“Don’t get all sentimental” I laughed poking her head. “It’s nothing like that, I just don’t trust anyone else with my research at the moment.”

“I know it's nothing like that,” Ria assured, her grip tightening on her cup. “It’s just, I don’t know how long I’ll be here for.”

“Then just promise to be my assistant for as long as possible,” I offered.

Ria was silent for a moment, before small hum left her mouth. “Okay, I promise," She laughed bumping me with her arm. She stretched her back, looking up as the fireworks went off. “I better get going. Goodbye Senku. It was fun. ”

I watched her hair flow between her shoulders as she left. “See you Monday,” She said nothing giving a simple wave. Why do I feel like, she didn’t want to say goodbye?