Reunion

As I looked in the airport bathroom mirror, I can’t help but stare at my hair and groan. It’s shorter. Similar to my old mans, but with a younger twist. I wonder, how is Ria going to react seeing it. My eyes widened. Why would I even care what Ria thinks? She’s never had an opinion on it before then again, we weren’t together before. Oh, that’s right. I smirked. We’re not together yet. I already have a theory of how I’m going to feel seeing her and I’ll get the answer I’ve been seeking this part year apart. I picked up my carryon bag, heading back through the airport shopping area, deciding it might be worth picking up a souvenir, particularly for Taiju to keep him entertained and to say thank you for picking me up from the airport. With the way the travel plans worked out, I will be landing in Japan on the night the Christmas lights go up. My old man will take Lillian and Suika to view the tree which means Ria will be dragged along as well.
Walking along the stores, the light hit one store just right to catch my attention. I looked over, smirking wider and strolling along. I leant forward, looking in the glass case and noticing what I wanted. “Mind if I get a closer look at this?” I asked, the store clerk seemingly getting excited over the price of the item I wanted to look at. I picked up the item, bringing up to my eye to get a closer look. “Yeah, this works, I'll take it.”
--
On the airplane, I was fortunate enough to be giving the business class treatment. Seems one of the hosts recognised me from an interview and in exchange for an autograph, I got upgraded. Once we had reached altitude and the seat belt sign was off, I was able to get my laptop out and continue the work on my papers. It was decided that now this mission was complete, I would begin my studies with JAXA and NASA in preparations for future missions. I did have one condition with this though. I need an assistance and obviously, there is only one person I can think of who fits the bill. I connected to the wifi and opened up my emails. Seems Dr. Xeno had managed to pull the required strings and got my request fulfilled. Next step will be the student visa’s, student accommodation and well, getting my assistant on board with the plan.  This is certainly going to be an exciting trip back home.
--
How much crap did I pack? I asked myself as I continued to drag my suitcase alongside me through the arrivals area. “Senku!” I stopped in my tracks and then found myself being tackled by an over excited Taiju. I could feel the slobbering dampening my shirt and quickly pushed him off as not to ruin my clothes. “Whoa, check out your hair! You look so cool. Ah man! I’ve totally missed you.”
“Yeah, I missed you too you, big oaf,” I laughed, gesturing for him to grab my suitcase. “You certainly have gotten a more professional look to you.”
“Oh, yeah,” Taiju blushed as I pointed out his suit. “I’ve come straight from an office party. Yuzuriha has gone with Ria to the Christmas lights, so you want to head there first?”

“I think Ria has waited long enough,” I joked as we started to head out.

“So, are you going to do it?” Taiju asked like an excitable puppy. “After all these years, is Senku finally going to admit he’s in love!”

“I’m not wasting my vocal cords answering that,” Especially when the answer should be obvious.

Arriving at the town centre, it was certainly busier than expected and finding Ria would be more difficult the expected.  If Ria hasn’t changed much, most likely she's by the dessert stalls. Though she also heavily likes the games and let's see. I placed my finger on my chin; potentially my old man wanted alone time with Lillian and thus offloading Suika onto Ria so the most probably location would be the games.

I took the lead, heading to the game stalls and upon hearing the familiar voices, I know I was correct. “Ri-Ri, try for the penguin,” Suika’s voice echoed.

Time started to slow down as people moved out of the way, revealing Ria holding onto Suika with Yuzuriha taking photos. They were at the ring toss, clearly oblivious to our arrival. Not wanting to interrupt, I watched closely as the clerk handed over the penguin Ria had won for Suika. Yuzuriha noticed me, tapping Ria’s shoulder and she turned to me. She looked more grown up, she even dyed her hair a deep shade of red, the colour of her cheeks complimenting her hair as she flushed pink. I guess we both did some growing up this past year.

Yuzuriha took Suika, telling her to watch closely as Ria started to walk towards me. It felt like nothing else existed around us and I took the first step towards her. I smiled, continuing to walk and then “Senku?” It went dark and I felt something crack.