Cafe and Concert

“Welcome to Café Lab,” Ria bowed welcoming the next set of guests as I continued to create some of our scientific treats to a small audience. “Follow me to be seated.” Once the treats were finished, they were passed to the customers who marvelled in their beauty. Got to admit, science is able to make beautiful food. Looking around, our Café seemed to be a success to say the least. Maybe it’s the food, perhaps it’s the lab assistant in the mini maid outfit but it’s going well.  “Senku, three more of the jellies please.”

“No problem,” I smirked, starting the next set of treats as Ria prepped beaker coffee. “Things seem to be going ten billion percent better than expected.  So, we have one more table to come in before the show.”

“Oh yeah,” Ria laughed nervously at the idea of the show. She suddenly jumped up, hearing the bell to the café ring. She picked up the beaker coffee’s handing them to the previous table before heading to the next customer. “Dad, Mr Ishigami!”

My smirk grew wider. Guessing she wasn’t expecting to see parents here today. I did tell her parents are welcomed; guess she had forgotten. “Well aren’t you a little cutie,” My old man laughed and Ria’s dad patted her head.

“You certainly look grown up sweetie,” He complimented making her blush.

Ria turned to me as she led them to their table, shooting me death glare.  Whoops, did I forget to mention my old man asked for tickets for him and her dad? Kukuku. I noticed Ria’s dad getting his phone out, taking pictures of her with our club members and as she served other customers. Looking at her dad, I’m ten billion percent sure he’s not the one that’s hurt her. Those marks seem to be off a woman and the way her dad acts, isn’t malicious or harming. In fact, he seems oblivious.  “Senku, come have your photo taken.” I groaned at my old man calling me over. Ria has a huge blush on her face as my dad motioned for us to stand closer together. “You guys look great.” He commented Ria’s dad snapped a photo.

“I hate this,” Ria mumbled holding a tray up to hide her face.  “Please stop taking photos.”

“Sorry sweetie,” Her dad laughed. “But I couldn’t resist. This is the first time you’ve been in anything school related for over a year. I want all the photos I can get.”

Over a year? I thought she just recently moved here? “Ria,” We looked to the doorway, Hina waving Ria over.

“Oh, I better go. It’s our rehearsal time,” Ria said taking off the apron and handing it to me along with the tray.  “I’m taking some sweets with me for the band.”

“Band?” Ria’s dad questioned as she ran off with Hina.

“Yeah, the band asked Ria to cover the vocals for a couple songs,” I explained taking a seat. “She was adamant on not doing it at first but there was no one else who knows Yuna’s vocal parts. Seeing as Ria has listened in on their rehearsals.”

Ria’s dad’s eyes lit up as if it was Christmas.  “Are parents allowed to go listen?” He asked.

“Well Allister, didn’t take you for the musical type” My old man laughed.

“Emiria stopped singing about a year ago,” His look turned sincere as her spoke. His voice giving a nostalgic tone. “I would love to hear her again.”

“Well then once you’re done here, I recommend getting straight to the hall to get the best seat,” I advised, giving him some hope.

“Alright Byakuya, once we’re done, you meet up with Lillian and I’ll save us some seats!”

I glared over to my old man. A high school as a dating place? Classy. “Hey don’t look at me that way,” He started to panic. “She wanted to come see what a Japanese high school is like.”

I just laughed. My old man sure is a charmer.

----

I sighed, finished packing up the equipment we used for the morning session. Whilst the performances are held in the main hall, we all decided we would take a break and open back up once they were done.  My dad and Allister already headed off to get their seats, Allister rushing to get front row seats I presume so I better hurry and join them. Don’t want to miss Ria’s clumsy ass on stage. She’ll probably trip over a wire and fall off the stage or maybe she’ll get sudden stage fright all the possibilities, surely one of them will happen.  “Hey Senku,” I looked to the hallway, Yuzuriha waving me over. “I sent Taiju to grab us some seats. We better hurry if we can't to make it for Ria’s performance.”

“I’m coming,” I laughed, hanging up my lab coat before we made our way. “Ria’s old man showed up today.”

“Really?” Yuzuriha gasped.  “That’s great, I bet she was surprised.”

“Yeah, he didn’t stop taking photo even made me get in one too,” I laughed.  “He really seems dedicated to her, it’s strange. I didn’t expect him to be so care free.”

“My parents are coming for the fashion show this afternoon,” Yuzuriha blushed. “I hope they like the accessories I designed.”

“With how well you did on Ria’s outfit, I'm ten billion percent sure they are going love your accessories,” I assured.

We continued with our idle chat as we made our way to the main hall. Looking ahead, we could see Taiju near the front arguing with, oh crap, Allister! Freaking big oaf!  I marched down, Yuzuriha trying hard to keep up as we passed the crowd of people. “Hey old man, these seats are for me and my friends!” Taiju yelled pointing his finger at Allister.

I growl kicking Taiju to the floor. “You moron, respect your elders!” I exclaimed, Yuzuriha quickly attending to the big oaf’s aide. I sighed, running a hand through my hair as my old man showed up with a poorly disguised Lillian. “This guy is Ria’s dad. Show some respect and count the seats you moron, there’s enough for all of us.”

Taiju panicked, standing straight before giving a low bow. “Please accept my apologies!”

“It’s okay young man,” Allister laughed off the situation. “But why does everyone keep call me old?”

“You’ll get used to it with Senku,” My old man laughed and we all took our seats.

The main hall lights went down and the stage lights came on. The school president did the usual, ‘Welcome’ and ‘Please enjoy the show’ before Hina’s band was introduced. A nervous looking Ria holding tightly onto the microphone as she stood shaking in the middle of the stage. “Hello everyone!” Hina exclaimed making the crowd cheer. “We are the school’s band Meraki. You’ll notice we have a special guest with our band today. We originally planned for our main guitarist Yuna to perform two songs however due to a loss of voice, she’s unable to sing. Not wanted to leave you disappointed those two songs will be led with the vocals of the science clubs Ria Casewell.”

Ria looked over to us, fear in her eyes. Yuzuriha hummed using her hands to show Ria to breathe deeply. Frantically nodding Ria, closed her eyes taking a couple deep breathes, her shaking subsiding. “Everyone, this is our cover of Louder, please enjoy!”

Allister immediately got his phone out, starting to record. The lights dimmed again, focus on Ria as the music began. As the music started and Ria began to move in time to the band, it was as if her fear disappeared. This, this is exciting.

It’s a whole new side to Ria I haven’t seen before. Her face looked almost, seductive. “Louder! You’re my everything,” She sang and my heart jumped. The feelings that came across in that sentence alone were intense.  It felt like she was saying that to someone. I grabbed onto my shirt, swallowing hard, hearing Taiju cheering loudly as my eyes fixated on Ria for the rest of the performance.

The song came to an end, Ria panting heavily and the crowd going into an up roar, chanting ‘Ria, Ria!’ “Oh, wow that was amazing,” I heard Lillian praise, her accent heavy.

Yeah amazing is one word to describe it. This is exhilarating!