Opportunity

A couple of months have passed since we sent our application essays and still nothing from JAXA. Now we’re busy preparing for the school festival again. I groaned; we’re doing the café again! Apparently due to its success last year they wanted us to do it again. “Way to go Kaede,” Ria praised one of the first years as they continued to use the liquid nitrogen. “You certainly picked this up quickly.” 

“I-I have a good teacher,” Kaede blushed. “Miss Ria, think you can show me some more techniques?”

“Sure thing,” Ria agreed and I pouted. She’s become a mentor to the first years and it irritates me how the fawn over her. Though, she is the vice president this year, being given the role to have the social aspects I don’t care for. Though, it seems to have pulled her away from her duties as my assistant the past few weeks. “Senku, the guys came up with an interesting concept this year for the café.”

I raised a brow. “Oh please, do tell,” I said sarcastically.

“Well, the first years are doing Alice in wonderland in English class so figured; ‘Senku in Wonderlab’ would sound fitting,” I felt my mouth twitch. The hell type of concept is that? “Figured you would be the Mad scientist instead of a mad hatter.”

“Will that make you Alice?” I smirked, kuku, she blushing, got her. “Wait, instead we’ll call it Ria in wonderlab. Kuku.”

“Eh, wait what?” Ria squealed, dropping her equipment, Kaede jumping to save it. The other members of the lab discussing and awing at the idea.

“Yeah, that makes so much more sense,” I laughed evilly. “Logically you dressed as Alice makes sense and I’m sure Yuzuriha would just love to make that outfit.” The rest of the club members all nodded in agreement. “Sorry Ria, seems everyone is in agreement, this year you play the part of Alice.”

“Last year a maid outfit and now Alice, please shoot me,” Ria cried into the sleeve of her lab coat in a dramatic manner.

--

The weeks passed and the day arrived of the school festival. Taiju and Yuzuriha we’re busy preparing for this year's fashion show while everyone in the science club was busy serving customers. I was dressed in a lab coat inspired by the mad hatter while Ria, true to our word, was the Alice of the café. “Oh, look at how awesome this looks?” I groaned, hearing my old man’s voice coming from the door. Lillian hanging off his arm, badly disguised. “Well well, Ria, don’t you look cute as a blonde?”

Ria blushed, using the tray to hide her face and scratched at the wig. Actually, yeah this is still quite funny. I looked back to my old man, noticing, some other people behind my folks. “So, table for six?” I leant on the table. My old man nodded. “Ria, we got space for six?” Coming from behind the tray, Ria looked to the bench in the corner and nodded. “Alice will show you to your area.”

Ria stuck her tongue out to me, as she led the group to the area. I leant against the blackboard, tapping my leg, trying to place the faces that were with my old man. I scratched at my head in irritation. It's like it’s there at the tip of my tongue. “Umm Senku,” Ria waved a hand in front of my face., getting my attention. “You okay?”

I sighed, “Yeah, it’s just,” I took a moment to glance another look at the group. “I’m trying to place names to the people my dad brought here.”

“I know what you mean,” Ria sighed starting up the burners to make the coffee. “There’s something familiar about them.”

We both jumped, hearing a squeal coming from Kaede. Kaede ran to us, magazine in hand, a look of hope in her eyes. “Think they would sign my magazine?” She asked hopeful. I raise a brow, taking the magazine from her and my eyes widened. I thought I had seen these people before. I started to laugh, causing Kaede to shiver. “Um, I know it might be rude actu-”

“Ria, you realise who they are right?” I asked turning to my assistant.

“It’s rude to intrup-”

“They are the scientists on the judging panel for JAXA,” I whispered Ria’s face falling in disbelief, Looking at the magazine, then at the group then back to the magazine. “This is our chance to impress, it would be illogical to not take this opportunity!”

We high fived, this opportunity has literally fell into our lap and now we have a larger chance of becoming JAXA’s youngest recruits.