The Date Experiment

The new school year soon started and now, as seniors, Ria and I are attempting to put together a string of words that will convince JAXA to take us on as recruits. I looked over, Ria slamming her head against the desk, causing a loud thud to echo through the classroom. “You’re as stumped as me huh?” I laughed, poking her head with my pen. She nodded, not moving from her position. “Maybe we should look over the qualifications JAXA are looking for?”

“Ria?” Hina’s waved a hand in front on Ria, trying to get her attention. Ria grumbled looking up at the band member. “The counsellor says it’s your turn to discuss colleges.” Ria sighed heavily, abandoning her poor attempt of a report on her desk as she left to speak to the counsellor. “Um, what up with you guys?”

“We’re trying to prepare our application essays for JAXA,” I sighed, leaning back into my chair. “We've both been quite stumped.”

Hina hummed, clearly trying to think up some advice. “When I'm having a brain block for lyrics, my boyfriend takes me on a date.” My eyes widened, staring her down. A date? She laughed. “Don’t look at me that way. A date is just basically two friends hanging out relaxing. For me, I find my mind opens up and the creativity flows.”

A date can do all that? I’ve seen Taiju turn into a blubbering idiot but I suppose they can be fun. Perhaps an excitement is in order this Saturday, in fact. I smirked. “Yeah, I can tie this into my bigger excitement.”

“Umm,” Hina laughed nervously. “You have that creepy scientist face again.”

Saturday came and I informed Ria the night before to dress casual but nice for today's excitement. Now were sat on the train, heading to the next down over. It’s only logical to reduce the chance of others from our class seeing us and causing rumours. I glanced over at Ria as she stared out the window. Her hair was tied in a high up pony tail on the right side of her face, denim shorts with black leggings underneath and a tartan pattern jumper accompanied by her matching trainers. I laughed; Lillian clearly had a say in what to wear. “What are we even doing today?” She asked looking me up and down. I must admit, even I'm dressed different today. Jeans, trainers and a shirt covered up with an open dress shirt. “Out of the blue you all of a sudden just said we were heading out today, what’s up with that?”

I laughed in my usual manner. “After some consideration, this is an experiment to clear our minds to help work out what we are going to do with our entrance essays,” I explained earning a confused look. “Today is the ‘Date Experiment’ as I call it.”

“Eh,” Ria squealed quickly placing a hand on my head. “No fever, but what are you thinking!”

“That we need a change of pace,” I explained, keeping my cool. “You know how I feel about illogical feelings and this is more to see if two people doing something different can have a positive or negative effect on our moods and increase productivity.”

Ria sighed, almost relieved. “That’s such a Senku answer,” She gave a small laugh. “Well then, lets enjoy this ‘date’ you have planned then.”

“The ideal result is that we get inspiration for our essays,” I explained. “So, if you can keep record of some things, example, our heart rates and moods and I can see how well this works.”

“I don’t understand why you couldn’t have asked Yuzuriha for information on these sorts of things,” Ria questioned grabbing out her phone and starting to jot down information in the notes app. “Though I guess the more data the better.”

“Excellent, today will be a different type of experiment so let's gather all the data we can.”