Reminisce

"Come on sweetheart, let's get you dressed," a tired voice said, as a pair old but decidedly strong hands encircled around a pair of hands that were frail and shaky. With a strength from within, like with everything these days, he pulled her to stand, steadying her with a walking stick. He brushed a piece of tatty hair away from her face and kissed her forehead gently.

"Okay?" He asked, but knew he wouldn't likely get and answer- he never did these days. She met his eyes and smiled.

"What do you want to wear my dear, jeans and a jumper? It's a bit chilly outside?" He asked her, opening their wardrobe.

Today seemed to be a good day because he had managed to dress her without too much hassle. They walked back through the house to her favourite armchair.

"I think I'll get you a cup of tea next my love, or would you like coffee?"

She looked at him and opened her mouth, readying a reply. This was a question she was asked often and she could answer it if she really tried, "co- Coff-ee-ee."

"Coffee! Okay, do you want the telly on whilst you wait?" Her husband asked, picking up the remote from the side table. She shook her head, reaching to hold onto his hand. "Hi sweetheart, I love you." She only smiled back.

"Let's put some music on whilst we have our coffee shall we? Reminisce," the man said, opening his phone, connecting it to the speaker, he looked to his wife and after seeing what mood she was in, he pressed play on a playlist titled Our Strictly- 2018. As Take On Me started, he watch his wife close her eyes and drift off into a happier place; a happier time. He let his mind wander too, thinking, 2018 seemed like a long time ago. In reality it was, but it felt longer than the 40 odd years. As the song changed, he groaned, he had had enough of this song but it ironically was the song on the playlist that got her feet moving from the first beat, in a sequence that was familiar. He beamed as he watched her try to swivel her feet, and kick about.

She opened her eyes and looked at him smiling so widely.

"Alright Love? Happy?"

"Charleston." She replied, a memory coming back.

"Yes, you're right, a Charleston," he nodded, glad he had decided on music as their first activity.

"Thirty One Thirty Eight."

"Thirty one thirty eight, what do you mea- oh yes, I think we might have scored them, yeah, gosh you remember better than I do. We did that week 2 and in the final, didn't we," he nodded, taking hold of her hand again.

She nodded, and said, "Breaking Free," preempting the next song.

"You're on it this morning, it is that one next, what happened this week?"

She looked at him again and leaned out of the cushy armchair, puckering her lips. Her husband complied and kissed her softly, just how he would have, hand moving to her face to stabilise them.

It took a while to come but when it did it warmed him up from the tips of his toes to the top of his head,"I love you Joseph."

"I love you too Dot, a tonne. So we had our first kiss, anything else?" He prompted, not sure if there was anything else, knowing this was the one area he could rely on his wife's memory.

"Your bum," she replied with a big smile.

"Ah yes, my bum stuck out, Shirley hated that didn't she, and it annoyed you too," Joe said, squeezing her hand, "It didn't all week then bam, Saturday night."

She nodded, sticking her tongue out.

"I know, I know, you'll never live it down, what score did we get? I have no idea," he asked, wondering if she could remember all of the scores.