Stupid

Something a little bit different, I hope you enjoy x

"No, no, no, fuck, shit," Abigail Sugg said under her breath, as she stood staring at something that had just potentially changed the course of her life forever.

"Oi, Abs, get out of there I need a piss, you've been in there half a fucking hour" James, her younger brother, shouted through the door breaking her stare and stopping the string if curses tumbling out of her mouth.

Abi sighed, shoved the test into her pocket, wiped her eyes and left, pushing past James towards her bedroom. She flopped on her bed after burying the test in her drawer, pressing her face into the pillow her boyfriend, Cole, had bought her a few weeks ago. "How could I be so fucking stupid." She mumbled, pulling her hood up, hiding away from the world desperate to escape from the hard reality that thing that was hidden had just dealt her.

~~~

"Where's your sister? We called up a good five minutes ago," Joe asked his son who was picking at his food, not allowed to start eating until everyone was present.

"I'll go up, you two start, James has got rugby at 7," Dianne sighed, getting up from their oak table, leaving the kitchen.

"Abs, Dad shouted up for tea a while ago, are you joining us?" Dianne called through the door, after a couple of sharp knocks. As a parent she tried hard not to just walk in on her kids, she had hated it as a child and was sure they appreciated the recognition of a boundary. After no response however, she pushed the handle down and slowly entered, seeing her daughter lying face down on the bed. She seemed to be asleep, which was quite strange, as Abigail wasn't one to take naps very often, if ever and especially not if Cole wasn't 'round.

Dianne bent down and shook her daughter's shoulder. Abi groaned and rolled over, opening one eye. "Its dinner time, are you joining us?"

Abi yawned in response, her brain slow and foggy. She sat up, holding her head, the sudden motion had made her dizzy and she had a supreme sense of need to lie back down. "Are you feeling okay sweetheart, you look a bit pale?" Dianne asked, putting a hand on her teenage daughter's head.

Abi sighed, shaking her head. She knew exactly why she wasn't feeling well, but she didn't feel now was the time to tell her mum.

"Okay, you lie back down, I'm going to eat and then I'll be back up, just shout if you need anything," Dianne said, pushing her daughter's hair from her face, pursing her lips together.

She kissed Abigail's head and then walked downstairs, announcing to Joe and James that she was feeling under the weather and wouldn't been joining them.

After dinner, once Joe had left to drive their youngest to rugby, she ventured back upstairs armed with painkillers, a thermometer, some crackers and a can of Sprite. "Any better?" She asked her daughter who was wrapped in a blanket, messing on her laptop.

"Nope, still feel awful," she lied, closing her laptop to devote her attention to her mother but also hide the article she had just been reading.

"Maybe you're sickening for something, here," she passed her daughter the thermometer, again laying her hand on her forehead.

"Is this necessary, can't you tell I'm not feeling well?" Abi sighed, over the years she had seen her mum morph into her dad when it came to sickness and she now always insisted on measuring temperatures.

"Well I can but you know a temperature can tell you a lot, Dad says, well I can't remember, just do it love."

Abi snorted and put it in her mouth, rolling her eyes, as her mum ran her fingers over her neck where if she was sick with an infection her glands would be swollen.