Ten

IVES

I'm sitting in the basement of my family's house, all alone, playing a game on the computer.

I just got home from the hospital after I was stabbed in the stomach about a week ago. It was critical. I almost didn't make it. I never really give it that much thought, because I can't really remember much, other than the fact that I was in pain, and that some psychopath the police hadn't found yet had tried to kill me.

I remember his face, though. I can never forget that face..

Me. Out of all the weird, stupid thirteen-year-olds in the world, he tried to kill me.

My sims all dance together in front of a boom-box, as I make sure to do all the things I need to do to get the gold achievement for the event I'm hosting. It's really making me relax. All the stupid memories, the flashes of his face when I close my eyes, they all faded whenever I got lost into Sunset Valley.

Suddenly, there's a single click sounding behind me, and I turn my head to see into the next room.

The door's slightly ajar, and I can see the lights are switched on now. They were off a second ago. I gulp a little as I realize what is going on. I have no idea how I know this, but I know it's him. He's found me once again. He's here to finish me off.

The light-switch is right next to an open window, so it's easy for him to reach in and switch on the lights. He can't get in, however. The window is too small, and there's no door down here. In stead, I pick up my cell phone and send a text to the officer that talked to me in the hospital.

From Ruby

I think he's here, can you come check? I'm at home.

My blood goes cold as I see a shadow behind the curtains move towards the other side of the house.

Oh no.

I get up from my chair and walk carefully towards the stairs. I jump a little as my phone vibrates in my hand.

From Officer Williams

I'm on my way.

I sigh in relief as I read his response. It made my blood become slightly warm once again, and I bite my lip as I ascend the stairs. I'm so grateful for Officer Williams. He made me feel a lot safer when I was in the hospital, and he told me to personally contact him if I ever felt threatened, or if I thought I saw the man that did that to me again. He didn't want me to say anything to my parents or anyone before I told him. That made me feel safe, like he would believe me.

I know both my parents love me, and they worry for me, but whenever I had nightmares in the hospital after this all happened, they told me it was nothing to worry about, nothing was ever going to happen to me again. While I really appreciated that they said that, it wasn't realistic. I knew the man's face. Officer Williams told me the truth, that there was a big chance that the man was going to come for me again, since I saw his face.

The scene that meets me in the kitchen makes me forget about what's happening, just for a little while.

My parents are cooking dinner together, smiling and laughing, as my mom puts flour on my dad's nose. They're making home-made pasta, and it smells like some kind of very delicious meat-sauce is boiling on the stove.