Twenty-nine

IVES

No, no, no, no, no.

The short word repeats itself as I stare into the brown eyes before me.

Max came into the kitchen and heard me stand up to Alex. And to make matters worse, he's got a white mask in his hand, a toy-knife in the other, and a blue jumpsuit on. This is officially my new, worst nightmare.

"What the fuck did you just say, Ives?" Max says harshly, with his eyes glued to the green-clothed woman in there with us.

He takes a few steps closer to us, and puts his mask and knife down on the counter, and then he runs a hand through his short, black hair.

"I..."

I can't get any words out. I'm too shocked to say anything at all. No one was supposed to hear that but Alex. No one.

I should have known from the way he and his friends played outside the coffee shop earlier this week, that he's be dressed as a killer, with a knife. Honestly, though, it doesn't scare me as much as I thought it would. My mind is probably occupied with the fact that he heard what I just said.

He crosses his arms, and he stares at Alex. He looks furious, and I'm not completely sure that he's not furious with me. I would be. Hell, I am. It's definitely something to be angry about, if he heard everything I said.

"Did she lie, Alex? Did you force yourself on her?" Max asks, and he sounds like he is just a few seconds away from yelling.

"N-no," she says, and her eyes flickers over to mine in panic. She sends me a look, a threatening one, even, and narrows her eyes at me. "She's a liar!"

"Why would I believe you over her? She seemed pretty damn serious to me," he shoots back, and steps even closer.

He's towering over her, and if looks could kill, Alex would be six feet under by now. I think I would be too, but I'm just staying quiet. I'm a little afraid to make matters worse.

"Why would you ever believe her? Ives isn't even her name," Alex says and points an accusing finger at me.

My jaw drops.

Holy fuck. I told her I had an issue with my name, and now she is fucking telling on me? I didn't say shit about her! What a fucking friend.

My insides are boiling with anger now, and I feel confident enough to say something now that we're not alone, and Max already knows everything anyway. Maybe he'll have my back.

"Ives is my name, and you know it!" I start, and shoot her a deadly glare. "I told you I have an issue with my first name, and you respected it! You were my friend, Alex, and friends don't do this to each other."

I wipe away the single tear that runs down my cheek, hopefully before Max noticed it. I don't even care if Alex saw, she deserves the guilt. If she even feels guilt.

"Do what, exactly?" Max questions, and raises an eyebrow at me.

"S-she..." I trail off, not willing to say the words out loud. I look down at the floor for a few minutes, until I look up, and meet the pleading look on Alex's face. She doesn't deserve my mercy. "She touched me, and kissed me, even though I turned her down repeatedly. I said no."

My voice isn't loud anymore, but the furious look on Max's face tells me he heard every word. He looks over at Alex again, and stares at her.

"You're lucky I don't punch girls," he growls at her, and I can see him clenching his fists. "Get out of here, before I tell the fraternity about this. They'll eat you alive."