Prologue

"My time has come," Trill stumbled but strong arms wrapped around her before she fell.

     "The night hides many obstacles from us," Dark eyes stared down into the foggy green.

     Trill was quickly righted as she smiled up at the familiar face, "You know what I mean, my friend. It has been too long."

     No lines appeared around the eyes or mouth of the ageless face, but the warmth could be felt in her voice, "I daresay I am older than you."

     Trill turned and grabbed at Tarn, "You must go to Malganadem." She felt the hand that had remained on her arm tighten.

     "Have you lost your mind?" Tarn gripped his aunt's hand with both of his.

     "Now. Do not argue with me, boy."

     "Why?" Tarn frowned and paid no attention to the woman staring at them.

     "Something has changed. Obram's guards are in Amarundia now. I thought I had more time. If you come with me you will be taken, if you go to Brae's or Crina's you will be taken, but if you head for Malganadem now you will be safe."

     "Safe in Malganadem? You know how backward that sounds, right? You're the one that let the cat out of the bag, and you think I should go to the very place we should stay away from? And what if I don't go to Brae's or Crina's? What's going to happen to them?"

     Trill shook her head and pulled her hand from his grasp, "You are being sought out everywhere but Malganadem. If you go anywhere else but to Malganadem you all will be harmed. I do not see anything other than that." She searched for Tarn's eyes in the dark, surprise rising in her throat, "I do not see why that will happen. "

     "How can you not see that?" Tarn's confusion spread openly over his face.

     Trill turned towards her rescuer, "That must mean..." The pressure from the hand on her arm silenced her.

     Tarn turned towards the woman when she spoke, "I will see her home. I do not agree with your aunt that you should go to Malganadem, but I do not see what she does. I do, however, believe in her sight. There must be a reason for you to go there. But it is ultimately your choice."

     "You promise to get her home?"

     "As soon as she is ready, I promise I will get her there."

     Shaking his head in acceptance he looked down at his aunt, "Then I'll head to Malganadem. Trill?"

     "Do not fret my boy. Once I catch my breath, I will be on my way again. Go. Now! Do not look back. I know you have your ways of getting around these lands quickly and one day you will have to share them."

     Trill could hear his smile as he turned, "Not a chance."

     She yelled after him, "Straight to Malganadem. No other stops or detours, Tarn."

     "He will listen, Trill. I could see it in his eyes. What did you see?"

     "What I told him to do." Trill tried to stretch her back, "Damn these old bones. I need to get to Brae's now."

     "Because of what changed?" She watched Trill nod. "I am able to help you with that. It will only be temporary, but it may help."

     Closing her eyes momentarily, she cursed, "I accept." She opened her eyes to stare at the palm of the strong hand held out to her.

     "I heard what you said, Trill. I did promise Tarn that I would get you home."

     "You can either wait for me or come with me," Trill narrowed her eyes.

     "I have not been there in so long. I do not know if I could handle the memories, Trill."

     "Make your choice." Trill shrugged her shoulders, "I must go."

     "Then I will go with you, but I will remain hidden."

     Straightening her back, she prepared herself, "Fair enough." Trill frowned as tears threatened her, "Promise to take care of them. Look after them when I am gone."

     She smiled, "I have been looking after them longer than you could possibly know, Trill. I will never stop."

     Nodding, Trill grabbed the hand held in front of her and everything faded to black.