Chapter 2

The walk back to Brae's house was the longest walk he could ever remember taking. He had trouble walking straight and was very surprised that he hadn't fallen over on to his face yet. Drinking was the last thing that he should have done, but Brae could think of nothing else to dull the ache he felt throughout his very being. Rayen had found him at the Grog on the outskirts of Amarundia and dragged him back to his home where Crina could sober him up, but she had finally had enough of his bad temper and forced him out of their home just before the sun set so that he would be able to see where he was going. Brae laughed at the thought of him getting lost on the way to his own house after drinking but had left without argument, wanting to be alone anyway. He hadn't noticed that the wind was blowing harder than he had ever felt it until he was knocked off his drunken feet a few times. Yanking his arm at an unseen force that was holding him down, he cursed under his breath. The thigh-high grass seemed to be continuously wrapping around his ankles as he kicked out his feet to free himself. After all the drinking, he still felt completely empty and utterly alone. Standing, he stumbled sideways before catching his balance, paying no notice when the sky opened up on him and began pouring down rain that seemed to pelt his face in anger. Brae kept shaking his head in disbelief, thinking of the biggest mistake he had ever made.

     "She's gone. She left. I thought...I hoped that she would change her mind, but no. I truly thought I could convince her to stay. She seemed so happy here and so relaxed, so comfortable, like she was finally home. I couldn't have imagined that, right? It was like my family was her family. She belongs here with me. I know it. I know I'm right about this. I have never been more right about anything than I am about her. I should have fought for her. I should have told her everything I feel for her before I told her to go. No, you shouldn't have told her to go. That's all there is to it."

     The rain washed away the tears that Brae didn't even notice had streamed down his face. He noticed nothing, heard nothing, and saw nothing. Brae thought that this moment would have been the perfect time for Obram to kill him, that he wouldn't even attempt to fight back. Brae would stand completely still with his arms held out, offering himself freely. He would gladly take whatever was planned for him as long as he didn't have to feel the pain and loss anymore. Brae couldn't get the memory of Cera walking away from him out of his mind. He kept hearing his own words and he hated himself for saying them.

     Amarundia circled overhead and stared down at Brae as he struggled to make his way home. She had not spoken with Brae since the night of the fire and wondered if she should try talking with him again. She was not accustomed to speaking with anyone in her land. Her sisters never had a problem with speaking to people in their lands and she often wondered why she seemed to be the only one with that problem. The only reason she spoke with Brae was because he was Noa's heir. She had not intended to speak with him as long as she had the other night, but he had mocked the dragon oath. He had unwittingly hurt her for not doing everything she had sworn to do. The night of the fire, when she stood over him, it was not Brae that she saw. He had become the living image of Noa. She hadn't known Noa as a child, but she saw him in Brae as he grew and Noa's face is what she saw staring back at her. Amarundia thought that was the reason she cared so much for Brae. Their past conversations, which were not good by his standards made her hesitate, but she could not make herself fly away when he was so deeply upset.

     Brae paid no attention to Amarundia as she glided up behind him and landed without making a noise. He kept his head down as she walked up beside him. The rain bounced off her and stung Brae as it pelted him all over.

     Hello, Brae.

     Brae ignored Amarundia and kept walking. Great, just what I need.

     I am sorry, Brae.

     "It's a little late for sorry."

     It is never too late; you will see that soon. Amarundia held her head high.