Chapter 8

Brae walked into the room as he was pulling his shirt down over his face and looked straight into Rayen's unreadable expression. He opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out.

     Rayen stared at him, face impassive, leaving no hint of what he was thinking or feeling. He moved to sit in the chair next to Crina and handed her a cup of water, turning his face to concentrate on her.

     Crina grabbed the water from Rayen and gulped it down. Clearing her throat, she handed it back to Rayen, "You might as well get it over with. Either fight or apologize, but let's get on with it. We don't have time for this. You were wrong to move on Rayen the way you did, and it doesn't matter how much he understands why; you were still wrong, Brae. Apologize now so neither one of you have to think on it again and we can move on to more important things without having this awkwardness hanging in the air like a lover's quarrel."

     Both Rayen and Brae started arguing back with Crina about her use of lover's quarrel and she began laughing, "Seriously ladies, let's get on with it already."

     Brae narrowed his eyes at his sister, "I apologize, Rayen, I should never...." He looked at Rayen and shook his head.

     Rayen nodded, "Accepted." He turned to Crina, "This is the only time you will ever get to call me a lady without reproach."

     Crina smiled at her husband and blew him a kiss.

     Brae walked around the room, looking for Cera and then sat at his sister's feet.

     "How are you feeling, Tip?"

     "Fine," Crina smiled, "Thank you for asking even though I know you're wondering where Cera is. Don't worry. She's out walking the village with Tarn."

     Brae gave her a look as if he had no idea what she was talking about, "I wasn't wondering..."

     "Yes, you were." Rayen had cut off Brae and smiled as he got up and left the room.

     Crina's forehead crinkled in concern, "Brae, what happened last night? I must say that I'm quite surprised that I slept through it, but I was exhausted."

     "Cera's going to die." Brae watched his sister's face change from concern to horror, "Pivane kills her. She saw it and then...I saw it."

     "What do you mean you saw it?"

     Brae stared down at his hands, "Cera asked me to look into the future."

     Crina sat up and grabbed Brae's arm in alarmed excitement, "You actually did it? You looked into her future? What was it like? What did you see?"

     Brae stared at his sister, "I didn't want to. I told her I didn't want to, but she promised me that we would change it."

     "Oh, Brae. You know..."

     Brae turned in the seat to face his sister, "I saw her Crina. After she dies, she lives. I can't explain it, but I know it was something of her that I have never seen before. I'm with Cera all the time, except for one time at Trill's and that wasn't it. This time she was with Aunt Trill and she was trying to get something from her. She was alive and I'm certain that it was after. I don't know how or what happens, but she dies and then...she lives. That must mean that we change it, don't you think? It has to mean that."

     "Brae," Crina looked at Brae with sadness.

     "Please don't tell me that we don't, Crina. I saw her alive."

     "Brae," Crina grabbed one of his hands and held it in both of hers, "This ability is something that you have refused to use or acknowledge since you were a child. I don't want to take your hope from you, but you could be seeing wrong."