Chapter 1

Pain. Cera had never known pain like this before. Whatever she had thought was pain in her life before didn't compare to what she felt now. It couldn't be measured, it couldn't be weighed, and it couldn't be counted though some might have argued differently. It could only be felt, and there was no relief no matter how still she remained. Cera didn't know how long she laid in the cold darkness feeling her pain, but she knew that she couldn't stay. She didn't want to die all alone in this cave, lying in the shattered pieces of her broken heart. So very slowly, as if she hadn't moved in ages and the pain from moving slowed her down, she pushed herself to her hands and knees and crawled out from beneath the tree roots. 

     Knowing that the roots were to the right of the passage looking in, Cera grabbed the roots and used them to lead her in the direction of the opening to the passage. Trying to remember how far from the roots the passage was Cera decided to keep her hands high up against the wall until she felt the edge. She frowned when she found the edge of the drop was at her waist. Cera kept her hands on the edge as she remembered Brae holding his hand out to her. She couldn't understand how the opening was to her waist here when Brae had to jump out and pull her up from the chamber because the edge to the passage had been too far for her to reach. But if it wasn't real...Cera didn't finish her thought. She couldn't bring herself to believe that she was going crazy.

     Cera jumped up and sat on her heels as she sifted her hands through the dirt before she moved forward. She heard the dirt begin rolling toward her, but it stopped soon after it shifted. Standing, Cera slowly walked up the incline of the passage so that she wouldn't start another slide. Keeping her hands on the wall she recalled being enthralled with all the paintings she knew were there. Paintings that led her to Brae.

     "Oh, just stop it already. He made his choice and you made your choice too. Geez, it doesn't matter because it isn't real. Remember that. Not real. Not real. Not real!"

     Finally making it out of the passage, she pushed her way through the curtain of leaves from the tree and walked out of the cave. Cera didn't see the mist floating above her like a comforting fluffy blanket and there were only a few scattered trees in the valley. The sun was setting and soon Cera wouldn't have any light to lead her back out of the valley. This valley that she now stood in was like a stranger to her, it was so different from the one she had come to know. A sob rose up from deep inside her and she bent over, holding her stomach. Anguish spread through her and all she could think to do was to run, hoping that would be enough to escape her memories.

                                                                *******************************

     Sitting on the couch in their hotel room, Tom rubbed his eyes. He had barely slept since Cera disappeared. He had spent every day looking for her and every night sitting up hoping to hear a knock at the door that wouldn't be coming from room service bringing up coffee to keep him awake. A little past midnight, the familiar knock on the door came. Tom grabbed his wallet off the table and went to open the door.

     Cera watched Tom slowly open the door while opening and grabbing money from his wallet. Not moving she stared at Tom when he looked at her. His eyes were bloodshot and looked sunken with dark circles that had formed around them. His shirt was tattered and his pants were wrinkled as if he hadn't changed in days. She thought of turning around and leaving but couldn't move.

     Tom looked up and felt the color drain from his face as he saw Cera standing in front of him, blankly looking at him. Her eyes were on him, but she didn't seem to see him standing there. Her vacant eyes looked right through him.

     "Cera?"

     She was drenched in sweat and the dirt that clung to her started to dry like a second skin. Taking a step forward Cera's eyes closed and Tom dashed forward to catch her before she hit the ground.