Chapter 23

Cera walked through the bedroom archway out onto the balcony of their new home, a new vapor white castle interspersed with shades of camel, latte, and burnt umber. She gently laid her hand on the thick stone railing and lightly glided her hand over the slick, cold surface as she walked into view of the valley. Breathing in deeply, she smiled at the waves of mist swirling together and tumbling over the surrounding mountain walls. The first time she stood in this spot and stared out toward the heart of Amarundia, this view had reminded Cera of the ocean. 

     Serenity surrounded her as she remembered the day Brae had asked her if she had wanted to build a new home. She could hardly believe that three years had passed since then. He told her he wanted to give his brother a place of his own and could only envision Tarn living in their parent's home. Cera smiled, remembering that argument. Tarn wasn't having it until Brae told him the plans he had for their new home atop the mountain at the valley's edge. Of course he didn't tell Tarn, but Cera knew he was going to find a way to build a passage to their hideaway near the cave. Brae wanted to have easy access to the blue cave as often as possible and she admitted that she wanted the very same thing, looking forward to all the time they could spend there. 

     Closing her eyes, she called out as Brae walked into their room, "Do you know what today is?"

     Brae walked up behind Cera and wrapped his arms around her waist, "Of course I do. I will never forget this day no matter how many years pass. There's only one thing I would change though."

     "Really? And what's that?" Cera smiled.

     "I should have kissed you the moment I pulled you from that ledge." Brae smiled as he felt the flutter of Cera's heart with his. "How are you feeling today?"

     "Ready, and tired, and hungry, but surprised too."

     Brae laughed, "What are you surprised about?"

     Leaning back into Brae's chest Cera sighed, "That you can still fit your arms around my massive stomach."

     "It's not massive," Brae whispered into Cera's ear, "You're perfect."

     Cera turned in Brae's arms, looked up into stormy blue eyes and smiled, "You always know exactly what to say."

     "I'm going for knowing exactly what to do. I seem to remember you telling me how to bring on labor, and if you're ready to have our baby, then I would be more than willing to help move you along."

     "Would you now?" Cera smiled and wrapped her hands around Brae's arms to pull him closer. As he lowered his head to give her one of his mind-blowing kisses, Cera's smile disappeared as she gasped and she dug her nails into his arms.

     "Ow," Brae frowned and saw her face pale when he heard a faint pop. He watched Cera look down and then back up into his worried eyes, "What's wrong?"

     "My water broke."

     Brae looked down and saw a puddle forming at Cera's feet, "I must be really good."

     Cera breathlessly laughed, "That goes without saying, but" Her face contorted with pain, "They hurt already. I thought they were supposed to build."

     Brae looked at her confused and pulled her over toward their bed to sit her down, "The uh, what did you call them with Crina...contractions?" He watched Cera nod and strode over to the door, yanked it open and shouted, "Tarn!"

     Cera concentrated on forcibly pushing her breath out from between her teeth as she squeezed the bedsheets in her hands.

     "What do you mean they hurt already? I do remember the pain slowly getting more intense with Crina. Does that mean something's wrong if they don't, if they're already this strong?"