Chapter 12

As they left the cave, Cera was bombarded by Crina who wrapped her arms around her shoulders and squeezed with all her might. Brae's arm slipped from Cera's shoulders as her arms raised and she placed her hands on Crina's shoulders. Crina jumped in surprise and closed her eyes. Within moments she moved back and stared at Cera before her eyes teared up and she nodded. Brae knew that Cera showed his sister the same thing she had shown him and Tarn. Rayen came up behind Crina, wrapped his arm around her and turned her toward Trill's. They started walking and Tarn joined them, walking right behind Crina. Brae turned to Cera and saw her sway. Quickly, he laid his arm around her shoulders again and frowned with concern.

     "Are you alright?"

     "Yes," she smiled up at him, "I think I might have lost enough blood to make me dizzy. It felt like the ground was spinning for a second."

     Brae scooped Cera up into his arms and held her close.

     "What are you doing?"

     Brae looked into her eyes that were now at the same level as his, "I'm going to carry you until we get to the path that leads to Trill's."

     "That's a little much, don't you think? I can walk. I just might be moving a little slower and you might need to hold onto me."

     Brae smiled, "I am holding on to you. And no, it's not a little much." He kissed her nose and started after the others.

     Cera rested her head on Brae's shoulder and closed her eyes as he tightened his arms around her. She opened her eyes and looked at him, "How did you get to the cave before Tarn? I turned and saw him, but you were farther away."

     Brae's eyebrows moved together as he thought about it, "I'm not really sure. I saw Tarn run and everything on the ground cleared away for him. That was really quite amazing to see, but Crina made a noise and I knew she had seen something and that scared half my life out of me. I didn't think, I just ran and caught up to Tarn, then passed him." Brae shrugged, "I don't know. I just knew I needed to get to you."

     "Crina saw something? I could barely see you all."

     Brae shrugged his shoulders again, "She's always had really good sight."

     Cera bit down on her bottom lip before speaking, wondering if she should try to get him to figure out what she knew, "So, Crina has great sight, outstanding if I'm being completely honest. You, well you have amazing hearing and can run very fast..."

     Brae interrupted with a side smile, "I'm pretty good in the kitchen too, for a guy."

     Cera grinned, "So what about Tarn? Is he super strong or maybe have any of the same traits as you and Crina?"

     Brae looked questioningly into Cera's eyes, "What do you mean? Alright, you're going to have to tell me what you're thinking or what you know because you have hinted about my hearing a few times and now you're wondering about Crina's sight and if Tarn is, what did you say, super strong? What's going on?"

     Cera breathed deeply, "I can't tell you. But if you figure it out..." Cera left the sentence open.

     "You can't tell me?" Brae looked quickly ahead and then back to Cera and stopped where he was, "You've told me this before and I'm starting to not like that you aren't telling me things. I don't like you keeping things from me. Bad things tend to happen."

     Cera looked down as Brae snapped at her and felt a pit form in her stomach, "I'm sorry."

     "I'm not looking for an apology, Cera. I'm looking for your trust."