Chapter 19

"Hoping that this is a bad dream, are we? You saw him, didn't you? He's here."

     "You should trust me when I tell you that you're not going to make it out of this Obram. You should be on your knees praying to whoever might listen for a miracle because that is the only way you will win."

     "Oh, I think I really will. And what is even better about this is that he will watch you die. Just as I said, I have been told the outcome of this night."

     "It's so surprising how stupid you are. You were lied to. But I'd lie to you too if it would get you to shut up."

     Brae could hear Cera and Obram, but he couldn't find them. He ran his hands into his hair and balled them into fists, fighting the urge to yank the hair out of his head. Brae knew that no good would come from Cera baiting him. Turning in circles, he tried to decide which way he should go when he felt Cera just before he heard her cry out. "Cera."

     "Which way should we go?" Tarn looked around him as Crina and Rayen caught up to them. A massive staircase loomed in front of them, diverging in three directions.

     "She's going to be near the highest tower, Brae. The structure around it didn't look as if it was damaged. Obram would have been able to see everything from there. He probably knows we're inside the castle."

     Worry covered Brae's face as he turned quickly to see the others watching him with the same emotion in their eyes. Brae felt a sharp searing pain in his side and all emotion drain from his face as he whipped around to run up the stairs, taking two at a time and dashing through the hall directly in front of them.

     Crina pushed at Rayen and pointed with her other hand, "Go. You two follow him."

     "I am not leaving you here alone."

     Crina placed her hand on Rayen's cheek, "He's going to need both of you to help him. I can't run up those things."

     Tarn moved to Crina's side, "We'll carry you."

     "You're wasting time. Go." Crina pushed at Rayen's chest.

     "Don't worry, she'll be with me."

     They all turned at the familiar voice and collectively sighed in relief.

     Tarn looked to Rayen, "How are we going to find them?"

     "I never thought I would have to say this, but I think we'll just have to follow the bodies."

     Tarn and Rayen looked at Crina and her companion before turning and setting off after Brae.

********************************

     Brae knew the bond was returning when he felt Cera's pain and then her soul calling out to him, guiding him through the castle. The few guards that remained in the castle were no obstacle for him or his speed. Brae ducked as one guard swung his sword at his neck, kicked his feet out from under him, and yanked the sword from the fallen guard's grasp. Driving the sword into his chest, Brae yanked the sword out and ran farther down the corridor. With every corner he turned, Brae dispatched all the other guards with ease and hurried up one last flight of stairs. He knew exactly where Cera was as he listened to the sound of her voice and he knew he was close when he heard her cry echo through the hall. The final staircase leading to the tower was straight ahead of him, but he didn't need to take them to get to Cera.

     Brae ran into the throne room and skidded to a stop in the middle of the room. He watched as Obram yanked Cera up from the steps with one hand and pull a dagger from a sheath at his hip with the other hand. Obram positioned her in front of him as he caught sight of Brae and the fear he knew would be written all over his face.