Chapter 17

Cera knew what lay ahead of them, but she couldn't help but stare in awe at the beauty of Jahan river and its surrounding mountains. Every few miles she stared at the waterfalls that were scattered on both sides of the river's mountains, feeding the river with their falling waters. Everywhere she looked were different shades of greens with scattered patches of oranges and reds. Cera and the others stuck out like a sore thumb in the plain, dark grey and brown wooden boat that was built like an oversized canoe with four wooden planks for seats inside. Cera sat at one end with Crina while Rayen straddled the seat in front of them. Brae sat next to Tarn, watchful as a big brother was over the youngest member of his family. Cera only looked away from the beauty around her when she felt a hand on her arm. Turning she looked to Crina who held out an opened wrapping with red grapes, slices of cheese and pecans. Cera smiled at her as Crina shrugged her shoulders.

     "What can I say? I'm going to have a baby. I'm hungry all the time."

     Cera chuckled and grabbed a handful of each item, "Thank you."

     Brae held out his arms, "And me?"

     Crina tossed a grape at Brae and he caught it in his mouth, smiling and chewing.

     Cera smiled as she looked at Brae sitting across the boat from her and turned back to look into the clear water of the river. She felt so tiny floating down the middle of a magnificent river set in between immense mountains that towered over them. Letting her head fall all the way back she stared up at the mountains and the white snowy tips. Closing her eyes, she breathed and relaxed.

     Are you okay?

     Opening her eyes, she looked over at Brae and smiled. She knew without their bond he wouldn't have left her side, but since their thoughts and feelings now belonged to each other he was able to not be as protective as he really wanted to be. Brae had been asking her if she was okay every five minutes.

     I'm fine, really. Don't worry. Tarn will be fine too. This boat ride will give us a chance to gather our strength.

     Brae leaned forward and rested his arms on his knees, crossing his fingers, I know. It's just too quiet right now and I wanted to hear your voice, even if it's just in my head.

     Cera's smile widened, What do you want to talk about?

     Brae shrugged his shoulders, What's your favorite color?

     Cera burst out laughing at the simplicity of his question, knowing the answer was not a simple one. Everyone stared at her except Brae who chuckled when Rayen shook his head. Staring at her fingers as she pushed the last of her food around her hand, she shrugged her shoulders as Brae had before she stuffed the remaining bits in her mouth.

     I don't think I have just one, but if I had to choose just one right now, I would have to say blue. I'm very into blue much more than I used to be.

     Brae lifted his hands so he could rest his chin on them, Any reason?

     You. Your eyes. I have found that they inspire me. I look at them and my whole life makes sense. You opened my eyes. When you look at me, the way you look at me, I feel like me. For the first time in my entire life, I feel like me and that's just because of your blue eyes. Now just think what the rest of you does. Cera winked and saw Brae's love radiating from him, What's your favorite color?

     It was Brae's turn to laugh along with Cera.

     Tarn watched Brae sit up straight and turned to Cera and then back to Brae, shaking his head, "If you both won't share what's so funny, then you're going to have to stop laughing. Everyone could use a laugh right now."