Chapter 16

"I always knew you felt the same way I did. You're just really good at masking your feelings."

     Cera shrugged her shoulders, "Not anymore, not with you. I don't need to."

     Brae smiled at Cera, "You do know that you never needed to, right?"

     Cera nodded, "I know. Are you ready?"

     Brae ran his hands along the sides of Cera's face and pushed her hair back as he leaned down and kissed her, "Not at all."

     They both turned and walked out the bedroom door to the stairs, taking their time on the descent. Brae kept his hands on the walls and closed his eyes, remembering the first light of dawn streaming in through the shutters.

********************************

     Brae watched the rays slowly sliding up Cera's body until they rested on her face. Turning on his side he propped his head upon his hand and leaned his arm on his pillow. He smiled as she squinted and groaned. She opened her eyes and he glimpsed the molten copper he loved so much.

     Cera smiled as Brae got out of bed and slowly dressed. Sighing and rolling over she pulled herself up and dressed with her back to Brae. Turning as she finished, she watched as Brae sat on the edge of the bed and bent over his boots. Nearing Brae, she pushed her fingers through his hair and savored the cool softness of his dark strands.

     "I don't want to leave."

     Brae finished lacing his boots and stood in front of Cera, "Are you scared?"

     Cera looked down at her shoes but Brae lifted her chin with his fingers and held her gaze as she spoke, "You mention what it would be like if something happens to me but what if something happens to you, Brae? You are my love. My everything. Like you, if something happens to you it won't just be a part or even half of me that dies, it will be all of me." Tears ran down Cera's cheeks, "I will die right there at that moment. There will be no grieving or getting over it or trying to move on or whatever other bullshit people try to tell you. That's it, and there is no going back to my world to pretend none of this was real because it is and the thought of losing you is making me feel sick inside."

     Brae pulled Cera to him and held on to her, mouth pressed against the top of her head, "I know exactly how you feel. You know I do, but you're going to have to do what you told me."

     Taking a deep breath, she tried to hold on to him tighter, "It's easier to say than to do."

     Brae chuckled, "I know, but I was kind of hoping that you wouldn't think that like I did. Weren't you the one who wanted me to stop being so overprotective?"

     "I know, but how can I not think that? I am constantly thinking something is going to go wrong or that I'm going to miss something because I don't know enough about everything that I should."

     "Cera, right now, you know everything that I do because from this point on, until this is over, there is no such thing as cheating. Our bond is an advantage that we need to use. There is no way that we are going to face Obram without being linked. It's the only way that I'll let you come with me."

     Cera looked up at Brae, "Let me?"

     He smiled as he wiped her cheeks, "There you are."

********************************

     Cera smiled and brought Brae back to the present by placing her hands on Brae's shoulders, "Eyes open."