Chapter 11

Cera knew this was dangerous; knew she shouldn't be doing this alone, but she saw her chance and she had to take it. Getting rid of Pivane would mean one less person Brae would have to worry about. There would only be a few minutes of time that passed before Brae would notice that she was gone. His first instinct would be to go to the cave to find her. Thunder seemed to explode through the valley. The hair on the back of her neck stood up and the chill bumps sprang up on her skin. She could feel Pivane lurking. He was close enough that Cera had to fight the urge to run to make it to the cave. She knew she had to stay calm so Pivane would not suspect that she was aware of his proximity.

     Cera was walking up to the cave and hoping she could release a fire she had no right to wield when she heard them both. Brae was farther away but would soon be gaining his distance on Tarn. She had expected Tarn's shout even though she asked him not to, but instead, she heard Brae yell out to her, "NO! CERA! STOP!"

     Pivane saw his chance. The silly little boy had given him the opportunity he needed. He saw his triumph, moved ahead of Cera into the cave and waited for her to see him. Pivane was finally able to see why no one could find the cave. The outcropping above the entrance made the opening look like a shadow. He grinned, knowing that shadow would hide him.

     Cera turned and knew the blurry form of Tarn was running toward her as quickly as he could. Though she knew what was going to happen, she also knew there was no other way to get what she needed and help Brae at the same time. Cera gave Tarn a saddened look as she turned away to continue walking into the cave. Knowing what was going to happen, she didn't bother to watch where she was going.

     The thunder rolled across the mountain and the lightning struck as Cera turned her head and lifted her hand to light the sanctuary.

     Pivane smiled down at her as she gasped in surprise. Before Cera could say the word Pivane drove the dagger into her abdomen just below her ribcage, the blade grinding against bone.

     "How do you like it?" Pivane sneered.

     Cera opened her mouth and gasped in pain. No. He hadn't spoken in her warning. Her hands lowered and went to the dagger but didn't touch it. She stared in shock down at the dagger and fell to her knees.

     Pivane moved out of sight to the edge of the cave's entrance. He would strike as the boy came through.

     Cera heard Tarn yell, "Brae, wait!"

     She turned to see Pivane lift a sword as if it were a bat and saw Brae running toward her. "Watch out!" She yelled as she fell to her side and dug her hand into the dirt. As her head hit the ground the loose dirt sprang up all around Pivane creating a solid curtain that he couldn't see through. His eyes shut as he swung the sword. Brae dove into a slide on his right side as if he was sliding into one of the bases on a baseball field. He rolled quickly and turned to look at Pivane as he came to a stop next to Cera. She lifted her hand from the ground. As the dirt fell back to the ground, Brae watched Tarn rush Pivane as he bent low and rammed his shoulder into Pivane's stomach. Pivane hit the cave wall and his sword fell to the ground. Tarn scrambled and kicked the sword toward Brae. Grabbing onto the spinning sword, Brae yanked it over his head and launched it directly at Pivane, watching it fly straight into his heart. Pivane was knocked back into the cave wall again, this time with a thunderous crack.

     As he pushed himself to his knees, Cera grabbed Brae's arm and held up her dirt layered hand at Pivane, "Dragon fire."

     It was only a whisper, but the fire that erupted around Pivane was just as fierce as if Amarundia had shot it from her own mouth. Brae held up his arm to shield his eyes as Tarn scrambled away from the heat of the fire, shielding his eyes as well. Pivane let out a shuddering scream before all went silent.