Blackpool

Nellie sat up, the mattress creaking as she did so.  Sweeney lay next to her, still asleep.  He looked so peaceful when he was sleeping.  The sound of  soft screams echoed through the ship.  Strange.  She shook Sweeney's shoulder and he opened his eyes, groaning slightly at the bright light.

"What is it pet?" he asked, squinting.

The sound outside began to grow louder and louder.  Sweeney wrinkled his eyebrows in confusion.  He stood up tiredly and flinched at the feeling of water hitting his feet.

What the hell? He thought looking down at the drenched floor.  The water was at least an inch deep.

"Nellie? Get up now." His voice was panicked which wasn't normal.

"What is it?" She yawned sitting up.

"The ships sinking."

——————————————————

The water continued to rise, the deck was now almost empty.  Most of the sailors had fallen or jumped.  Sweeney looked around trying to find something, anything that could float.  Nellie held a sobbing Toby and Johanna sat with Collin the only sailor left. 

Sweeney's head whipped around at the sound of water bubbling.  The stairs were now fully submerged.  That's when he saw it floating further back from the stairs.  A long board?  No... A door...  Sweeney hurried forward inhaling quickly before jumping into the small patch of water that led below deck.

Nellie heard the loud splash and turned to see no one.  That was the problem.  Sweeney was gone.  He hadn't abandoned them, he couldn't have.  Could he?

Sweeney was losing his breath quickly.  His hands felt along the wood trying to find the door he'd just seen.  Finally gripping the side of the door he pulled it backwards trying to find the stairs.  Where were they?  He tried to hold his breath longer but he felt himself sinking.  He hit something and screamed in pain, letting out the last of his air.  He prayed Nellie had heard him as everything went dark.  This couldn't be the end.

The last thing that he saw was bubbles surrounding the water around him and then everything went dark as pitch. 

——————————————————

Sweeney opened his eyes to hear Toby yelling.

"Mum! What's that on the horizon?"

He felt cold and wet, he sat up to see nothing but water surrounding him.  The bright sunset illuminated something on the horizon.  Something that looked like... land?

"Father!" Johanna exclaimed.

Nellie looked up from the dark water to see, sure enough, Sweeney sitting up.

"Where in the hell are we going?"

Toby grinned looking at the barber.

"We're nearin' Blackpool sir! At least I think we is,"  he turned to Nellie who nodded.

"Well where the fuck are we?"

"Sweeney at least try to watch ya language!"

Sweeney rolled his eyes and looked down to see he was floating on top of a door.  Everyone except Collin held to the door, struggling to stay afloat.  Sighing he slid into the freezing water and helped Nellie, Johanna, and Toby onto the door completely ignoring Collin.

"Well it'll take all night and day to get there so I'll get us as far as I can."

"Thanks love," Nellie said, leaning forward and giving him a small kiss.

"Of course." He replied, no emotion on his face or in his words.

——————————————————

"Someone grab a rope!" A man yelled out.

Sweeney gripped tightly to the door, trying not to slip.  The sound of voices along the docks echoed in his ears as the rope landed in the water next to him.

"Nellie, hurry and get up there, Johanna follow her and I'll grab Toby."

Collin cleared his throat making his presence known to Sweeney's annoyance.

"And then you." He snarled.

Nellie grabbed the rope and pulled herself up with the little strength she had left.  Sweeney sighed in relief seeing someone grab her arm and lift her onto the docks.  Johanna followed also being helped up.  Sweeney picked up Toby and grabbed the rope pulling them both up.  His hands were splintered and as he gripped the rope his skin tore leaving red stains where he climbed.  Toby's weight was taken off of him and someone grabbed his arm and pulled him onto solid ground.

Sweeney shuffled forward two men gripping his shoulders so he wouldn't fall over.  Nellie threw her arms around him pressing her lips to his quickly.

"We did it love, we made it.  We're free." she whispered in his ear.

"Calls for celebration, doesn't it pet?" He smirked at her.

She smiled her cheeks turning a soft shade of pink.  "I suppose it does..."

Toby ran up to the two and hugged Sweeney's waist.  Todd looked down surprised and held back the want to push him off. 

"What was that for lad?" He said when the boy let go of him.

"Ya saved me and my mum.  Johanna said we should forgive ya.  I know ya never liked me but seein' as ya goin' to be my dad I figured I should try to get to know ya."

Sweeney smiled slightly at how sweet the boy was being.  He looked up at Nellie who looked so happy to see the two finally getting along.

"Well I hope we can, now Johanna seems to be looking for you son so run on along.  Nellie and I will be," he paused looking at her, "over by the market place over there."

Toby saw the tents peeking through the buildings down the road.  He nodded and ran back to where Johanna stood with Collin.

Sweeney smirked down and Nellie, wrapping his arm around her waist he walked down the streets of Blackpool and pulled her to a small alleyway next to the market. 

"Well pet, we're alone for now.  Any preferences for what to do?"

Nellie grinned.  God he loved her smile, full of love and yet lust as well.

"I believe we're thinking of the same thing."

"I believe we are." He purred, pulling her deeper into the dark alleyway before hungrily kissing her lips.

She smiled into the kiss and wrapped her arms around his waist pulling him closer to her. 

"I love you Sweeney." She whispered.

"I love you too Nell."

——————————————————

Sweeney sat on the cold cobblestone holding Nellie and Toby close to him.  Johanna was sleeping next to Collin which bothered Sweeney but he ignored it as he didn't want to seem overprotective.  He'd made up his mind.  He was going to sell his razor, or razors as Nellie had brought a second one just in case.  They needed money to afford food and a place to live and he knew his razors were worth a lot.  Nellie had told him he shouldn't but he wanted what was best for his family, not himself. 

With that in mind he slowly slunk away through the shadows hoping to find someone with a fair trade for the silver.  It had been so long since he'd been in Blackpool.  But not long enough.  As he walked down the streets he saw the large, familiar building in front of him.  He froze at the sound of footsteps behind him.

"Mr. Barker..." A familiar voice sounded behind him.

"Cornelius..."

A/N: I honestly have no idea where to go with this.  I have a few ideas I don't know which one I'll go with though.  Anyway, next chapter will be interesting that's for sure.  I'll have it in by tomorrow though, or at least I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get it updated tomorrow.  Well thanks for reading, hope this chapter was interesting!