Changes

Sweeney looked at his reflection. He felt so different, his hair was now quite neat, short and tame. It was strange looking at a different person. He didn't look like Sweeney Todd or Benjamin Barker, he didn't look like him.

Richard smiled brightly, "I told you it looks great."

Sweeney didn't respond, he simply turned around and grabbed the bottle of gin Richard had just bought. He opened the bottle not bothering to find a glass and took a swig. Richard's smile fell and he placed a hand on 'John's' shoulder.

"Are you okay?" He asked when 'John' turned to look down at him.

"Why are you so concerned all of a sudden? You've known me for a week and I haven't made a great impression."

"I don't know, there's just something that tells me to trust you. You seem like a good person, and you're probably the first friend I've ever really had. That is if you consider us friends."

Sweeney found the word 'friend' strange. Giving someone the title of friend was letting them in, which made it easier for them to hurt you later. Was Richard a friend? He had given him a place to stay and get he reminded him of Nellie. Was that a good thing? Eleanore was the most important person in the world to him. Richard couldn't possibly replace her.

Despite all of these thought he still found himself saying, "Yes, I guess we are."

——————————————————

Another night at the bar. Another night stumbling home drunk. Another night trying to forget. Johanna was worried, not just about Eleanore but about her child. The idea of Nellie drinking every night scared her. Why was it so hard to move on? Why was she so hooked on one man? It was over, she knew that, and yet she couldn't stop missing him. Every night she spent around drunk men left her feeling broken. Left her wishing Sweeney would come back. Wanting to be in his arms again.

The streets were dark and rain fell softly against Eleanore's shoulders. It was cold outside, winter was approaching quickly, too quickly. Eleanore wrapped her shawl tighter around herself hoping she was getting closer to home.

"Eleanore?" She heard behind her, it was James' voice.

Turning she faced him. He quickly realized how drunk she was and helped her inside. Eleanore was placed at the table watching as James filled a glass with water.

"Drink this." He instructed placing the glass in front of her.

She drank it quickly before looking up at James who held a letter, "Sweeney wrote..."

Eleanore cut him off instantly, "I don't want to hear from the bastard."

"I know you hate Sweeney right now but keeping it bottled up isn't going to help. You need to let it out and I'm here to listen." James sat across the table from her placing his hand over Eleanore's.

Tears sprang to her eyes and she looked down at the table, "Why did he leave?" She whispered, "He told me he loved me."

"I know you won't believe he loves you but he feels guilty..."

"Well he should! I made one damn mistake that cost one life! I know it wasn't right to lie but he left his family alone! Toby is runnin' the shop by 'imself in order to make money for us and he's fifteen! He can't pretend he feels guilty! If he felt guilty he'd have returned by now! He would have turned around the second he left! He never would have left! If he felt guilty he wouldn't even think about leaving."

——————————————————

Sweeney swallowed the lump in his throat. Even standing far away from the ballroom doors the music coming from inside worried him. Richard had begged him to go and Sweeney had finally given in. The suit he wore felt too dressy but Richard proceded to tell him it looked great.