Return

A/N: I'm really sorry about how long this took to get out. I was hoping to get it out earlier but there was a lot that changed. I spent an entire day just trying to figure out the plot and this chapter ran through a weekend full of plans and two horrible days at school so I tried my best to write it as quickly as possible and I think I did okay. Hope you enjoy.

The sound of rain pattering against the windows was calming. The only voice in the room was the one that hummed quietly. It wasn't particularly nice day but the cheery tune echoing through the kitchen brightened things up.

"Toby!" She called out as she walked down the hall, her humming coming to a stop, "I need ya to help with breakfast!"

The boys door opened and he stumbled out, yawning and rubbing his eyes. He looked as if he hadn't gotten any sleep and he felt even worse. His head hurt like hell and he felt as if he was going to throw up. Eleanore could instantly tell that he was sick and began to worry.

"Are ya alright?" She asked, rushing over to him.

"I'm fine mum, just a little sick is all. I'll be okay, but a day off would be nice." Toby replied, his voice scratchy.

"O' course, I'll let ya rest. I'll see if Johanna can help."

Toby walked back to his bed and fell back onto the mattress while Eleanore  closed the door. Well the day was continuing to look down. Toby being sick meant less help around the house. Both Johanna and Nellie agreed that when Toby was gone everything got harder. The sight of the pile of dishes next to the sink dragged a sigh from Eleanore's lips. Another long day of work lay in front of her.

——————————————————

Yet again Sweeney was unable to sleep. He was up, waiting for Richard to fall asleep. He'd finally made up his mind to leave. There was one final ship to Blackpool and if he didn't make this ship he'd be stuck in London for the winter. He got to his feet and looked into Richards room happy to see him asleep.  Grabbing his bag of very few belongings he left the house heading quickly for the docks.

The idea of returning home scared him more than anything, he was sure that everyone hated him. Sweeney couldn't imagine how badly he'd hurt Eleanore. He could barely remember the reason he left her. He knew Lucy was dead but he knew how much Eleanore had regretted lying to him.

Why was he so negligent of what he had? There was a beautiful, new life  he could have had but he threw it away because of a simple mistake. Out of all the pain he'd caused Eleanore he knew this was the worst.

The longer he stayed away from Eleanore the further from reality he felt. Sweeney looked up from the cobbled streets of London. Time seemed to stop and his fear heightened. There was no ship, to not at the docks. In the distance he could see the outline of the boat but nothing else. He continued to walk, not believing he could be too late.

"No." The word tumbled from his lips, "No!"

Now at the edge of the dock he stared out at the water. He refused to give up. This was his only chance, he couldn't allow this situation to get any worse. But it was impossible to get to Eleanore now. There was no way to reach her. No. He would get to her, or he would die trying.

——————————————————

Toby was fast asleep when Eleanore walked into his room with a glass of water. Placing the water on the small bedside table she laid a hand on Toby's forehead. He didn't have a fever which made her calm down a bit. He was definitely getting better. Nellie leaned down and placed a gentle kiss on his head before stiffening at the sound of glass shattering followed by a quiet scream.