Free From Fear

"Here we are," Sweeney whispered in Nellie's ear, removing his hands from her eyes.

She gasped quietly seeing the house in front of her.  Everything had already been taken inside and it was beautiful.  She turned and hugged Sweeney tightly.  Things were finally getting better, Cornelius had left for a week with his father and her and Sweeney were getting married in a week.  For the first time in so long, Nellie felt safe.

"Thank ya Sweeney," she said quietly.

"Anything for you Nell,"

Sweeney then picked her up and carried her inside.  Placing her on the settee they shared a passionate kiss.  One that was interrupted by a young boy clearing his throat awkwardly.  They broke apart and Nellie blushed a bright shade of pink.

"Sorry lad, didn't realize you were down here." Sweeney said, embarrassed.

"Ya know, I'll just leave the both of ya alone for a while," Toby giggled walking away.

Sweeney turned to Nellie again and chuckled softly.

"So what'd you say pet? Time to celebrate?"

——————————————————

Nellie saw Sweeney's eyes narrow as he looked at her.  His eyes trailed up her arms and settled back at her face.

"You told me your bruises healed Nell."

She could sense the anger in his voice.  She couldn't hide it anymore, they were safe.  Cornelius wasn't here.

"You lied to me.  Who the hell did this to you? No more lies." He said firmly.

Nellie sighed quietly before looking into Sweeney's eyes.

"Its..." She hesitated.

"Eleanore." Sweeney said dangerously, "Who?"

"Cornelius..."

Sweeney froze.  Cornelius?  All this time, the man attacking Nell was right in front of him.  This was all his fault.  He'd allowed it all to happen.  If he'd just looked closer.  How could he be so stupid? Why had Nellie lied? Why hadn't she told him? No. Why hadn't he listened?

"Why didn't you say anything Nell?" He demanded, wanting to keep calm but his anger towards himself weaved its way into his words.

Nellie was surprised by his sudden anger but responded, "H-He threatened to kill me if I told you..." She began sobbing again.

Sweeney calmed and walked towards her, hoping he could comfort her.

"Nellie, I'm sorry.  I should've realized it sooner, I let it fly past me how much you were struggling.  Cornelius and I talked and I'd thought he'd struggled, thought I should forgive him.  I should've asked more questions.  Shouldn't have given up so quickly.  I'm sorry."

"Sweeney, he's going to hurt me..."

"Oh he won't have the chance to."

——————————————————

Sweeney sat in the living room waiting.  He was at his fathers house and Nellie was safe at their new home.  Cornelius would be returning and he didnt know about them moving.  Sweeney had come up with a plan that left Nellie completely safe, so he hoped.

The door opened quickly and Cornelius entered along with his father.  Sweeney held back the want to murder the bastard here and now.

No, save it, he'll get what he deserves but be discreet, Sweeney thought as he opened his mouth to speak.