Moving Backwards

The house was quiet.  Sweeney was fast asleep on the settee where he'd been sleeping for the past two weeks.  Nellie slipped through the living room into the kitchen and grabbed the gin.  It was almost empty as both her and Sweeney had been drinking nonstop since their fight.  The moon shown through the window, illuminating the room.  Nellie pulled the cork from the bottle with her teeth and brought the bottle to her lips, feeling the refreshing burn of alcohol in her throat.

Everything was so tiring.  Sweeney was always drunk, Toby's birthday was coming up, and it was always much too quiet.  Toby was excited to learn how to shave, that was until he felt the tension between Mr. Todd and his mum.  He was tired of the silence and having to explain the shop was closed to countless of Sweeney's customers.  His thoughts raced as he lay staring at the ceiling.  He heard the sound of footsteps passing by his door. Nellie's he assumed, almost definitely her grabbing the gin.

Toby closed her eyes wanting so badly to sleep.  There was no reason for him to be unable to sleep.  It was quiet enough and he was tired but something kept him awake.  Something in his mind, warning him something was going to happen.  Something bad.

——————————————————

Sweeney was drunk again, stumbling around and muttering to himself.  He sat down of the settee.  His shirt was untucked and his hair was a mess.  No one was around.  Toby was cleaning the shop after Sweeney's temper tantrum the night before and Nellie was was out getting more gin.

The room was cold, not that Sweeney noticed.  His mind was blank and all the pain he had previously feeling was gone.  The sound of footsteps echoed from the kitchen, headed for the living room and Sweeney turned to see Toby in the doorway.

Toby stared at him, suddenly his eyes narrowed, "What's wrong with both of ya? Why are ya always quiet or drunk? What did ya do to mum?"

"I didn't do anything," Sweeney slurred while standing, his shadow casting over Toby, "I won't take the blame."

Toby shook his head, "Of course your drunk. Ya promised when I turned fifteen you'd teach me to shave. Well here I am, fifteen and yet your too bloody drunk to even realize!"

Sweeneys eyes narrowed on the boy.  None of this was his fault it was Nellie who'd brought back his pain.  Nellie who'd reminded him that he wasn't good enough.  For once he'd finally felt happy where he was, but Nellie had forced him back into the dark.

"I'd watch your tongue lad," Sweeney slurred darkly, his eyes black.

Toby gulped and backed up slowly, "Calm down Mr. Todd, I didn't mean anything."

"Yes you did..."

Toby's eyes widened as his back hit the wall and yet Sweeney continued to walk forward.

"I know you did!" He suddenly yelled throwing the empty bottle of gin at the wall missing Toby by inches.

Sweeney suddenly quieted and slid onto his knees on the ground his breathing ragged.  His normal dominant demeanor disappeared as he mumbled to himself.  Toby didn't know what to do, Sweeney wasn't okay, he was drunk and in pain but no one who could help him was around. 

Johanna.  She would know what to do.

——————————————————

"Get off of me you bastard!" Sweeney growled at his father, not that he noticed that was the man who held him.

He wrestled his way free from James' arms and turned, glaring at the three people in front of him.  It was quiet. No. Silent. 

"Mr. Todd, you need our help!" Toby insisted.