Chapter 30: TROPHIES

Ermias

Today my house was a mad house. It's the night of the Grammies and everybody in this muthafucka was running like a chicken wit it's head cut off.  You would've thought they ass was nominated for "Best Rap Album" too.

Boog, Cleo, Nefi and my Mama all got dressed in the master bedroom. Jodie used one of the guest bedrooms and I got dressed in my Mancave away from all the noise and commotion. My pops was the only one that actually came dressed and ready. When I asked him why he ain't wear a suit he said "Nigga fuck that boujee shit! I gotta represent for tha set." This man was a absolute fool, but I love'em to death.

After getting dressed I took a seat in one of my reclining chairs with a loud sigh

After getting dressed I took a seat in one of my reclining chairs with a loud sigh. I laid my head on the back of the seat and closed my eyes as I massaged my forehead with my hand. I had a moment of silence as excitement and my anxiety got the best of me. I was happy about tonight no doubt.

But lately being around too many people outside of family made me anxious and kept me on edge. All these makeup artists and stylist walking around was overwhelming.

"Baby boy! Here you go." My pops said handing me a glass of Hennessy. I raised an eyebrow before taking the glass from his hands.

"What's this for pops?"

"To take yo mind off 'ah whatever you think'n bout. And whatever it is, none of that shit matter except you walking on that stage tonight accepting your award." He told me before patting my back and sitting across from me. He got comfortable in his chair and started watching something on tv.

"Pops you ever felt like yo time was running out?" I questioned. He turned his head and stared for a minute like he was caught off guard before turning off the tv.

He leaned forward to place the remote on the coffee table before sitting back in his chair again.

"Hell yeah I felt like that sometimes. Especially when I was a young reckless nigga, robbing and shooting. Selling drugs. Every shoot out and gang fight I just new every time I walked outta my crib I was closer to having my clock punched. Then I met this fine ass redbone that changed my life. — he said referring to my mother and smiled at how happy he looked looking back on that time.— I had just ran up in her pops store after some crazy shit had went down looking for somewhere to hideout."

"I waved the gun in her face and was like Bitch! If you say anything I'm going off in this muthafucka! And next thing you know she started going off like I know you ain't just called me a bitch, then she started beating the shit outta my ass. Imagine my hardcore ass flinching from being beat by some fine ass Denise Huxtable looking female. After she went upside my head with that damn roll of quarters I was like aight let's chill the fuck out. We standing damn near yard from each other tryna catch our breath. Then outta nowhere she asked, You hungry? So I was like hell yeah so we went to her crib and she fed a nigga. After that day we kept in touch. She taught me about religion and shit and higher powers. I wasn't too into it. Then a day after she told me she was pregnant with our first child I got picked up for what happened the day I met her."