Chapter 31: Two Steps Forward

Yang lifts her head, arms ready for a fight. Taiyang takes a swing at her with his left hand, but she easily blocks it with her robotic wrist, pushing his hand away from her. The interplay repeats with his right and Yang's left, only this time Yang uses the momentum to turn and come back at her father with a roundhouse kick. Taiyang bends backward to dodge it, his legs in a lunge. He gives his daughter a solid punch, pushing her back a few feet.

Nearby, Zwei, Miyabi, and Lance watch the two spar. Beside them was a low stool with two white towels. Zwei's head changes angles, oscillating to the sounds of grunts and contact. Abruptly he holds his head straight and makes a noise of surprise.

Taiyang stands alone and moves forward, doing a roundhouse kick of his own. Yang joins both hands atop each other to block Tai's landing foot. With a loud cry, she pushes it back. Taiyang regains his footing in a flip while Yang waits for his landing. Using her robotic arm, she knocks him back with a single hit.

Holding onto his right bicep, Tai slides through the dirt, his feet flat on the ground until he comes to a stop.

"Whoa, that thing packs a punch!" Taiyang said.

"We've been at this for weeks. I get it, you wanna make sure I can still fight." Bumping her fists Yang smirks "I think I'm doing just fine."

Taiyang smirks back at her "You're close." He responds.

He stands upright, no longer nursing his arm. Walking around his daughter in a circle, he assesses her progress. "Oh really?" She asked.

"You're still off-balance." He stated bluntly.

"What?! No, I'm not!" She exclaimed which made Taiyang chuckle. "Honestly, I'm kind of surprised." She paused as she lifts her robotic arm, looking down at it with a smile.

"I thought it would be just this huge weight, but it feels... natural. They did a great job with this thing." She said. Before she could say anything else Taiyang came running at her delivering a left hook right into her face. Yang's upper body rears back both from impact and surprise. She's ready to block his right hook, however, and uses the turning momentum to deliver an elbow to his jab. Grinning the entire time, Tai blocks it and then dodges all the kicks she follows through with. Yang switches to punches, but Tai is too on-point for her. While she uses her left hand to block an elbow thrust, Tai has grasped her robotic arm and pulled it forward. The position puts Yang to having her rely on her balancing the weight of one leg.

"I wasn't talking about your actual balance," Taiyang stated before pausing.

He sweeps her forward leg, sending her onto the ground on her back. He leaves her there and walks over to Zwei, who happily gets the top towel for him.

"Although, that could use some work too."

Taiyang takes the towel and gives Zwei a rub on the top of his head. Zwei hums happily. Arms spread on the ground, Yang takes a breath before speaking.

"Meaning?" She asked.

"He means you need to come up with a better strategy instead of using the same old trick."

Yang and Taiyang turned to Lance who was focused on Yang. "Same old trick?" She asked in a slightly annoyed tone.

Lance nodded at her question and spoke "Yeah your strategy is very predictable. You attack without caution and will instantly use your semblance once you take even the slightest bit of damage." Lance replied.

"Oh? Predictable? Funny how this is coming from a guy who can only fight with his sword and semblance. Don't get me wrong Lance, you're really strong. But when it comes to hand to hand combat, I got you beat." Yang said as she smirked at him.