twenty

michael woke up to his phone ringing, a preset tone blaring into his dream. luke was still sleeping soundly, so he answered the phone and spoke quietly, slowly leaving the room.

'hello, michael clifford?'

'speaking' michael hadn't even thought to look at the ID name.

'this is dr. kahn calling to inform you that luke hemmings has found a permenant assignment!' he sounded happy. why did he sound happy? michael turned back to look at his boyfriend and stuttered out an almost incoherent 'what?'

a short silence paused michael's world, allowing him to let the recently recieved information to sink in. he turned around and looked at luke cuddled up in bed, heavy breathing the only sound coming from him.

'we've managed to find a more fitting and permenant setting for him to reside in, meaning that you'll get reassigned as well.' michael's eyes welled up thinking of his best friend with anyone else. he thought luke and himself were permenant.

'would you like us to come into the office, or?' michael sniffled, lip quivering uncontrollably. he didn't even know how to react to this news. he wanted to tell luke, but luke wasn't in a good state of mind, big or little.

'i think that would be good, we are open today from 8:30am - 6:30pm, tomorrow we are closed, and then monday-friday we are opened from 9am - 4:30pm. come in whenever it's good for you and we'll get this all sorted out.' michael hung up immediately, staring at the ground hopelessly. he couldn't lose luke, he was the single greatest thing that had ever happened to him. he had been friends with him for years and now they were dating. he'd lose his everything.

luke stirred in his sleep, whining quietly as he woke up, feeling around for michael. when he found that michael was no longer in bed, he shot up and looked around, seeing his boyfriend standing in the doorway.

'mikey 'kay?' luke asked, watching as michael fought back sobs. it was obvious that something was upsetting him.

'i'll tell you when you're out of your headspace, why don't we go out to eat this morning? i know the perfect place.'

'yes! mikey and luke date!' luke exclaimed, his little body quickly slipping from underneath the covers to get changed.

-

luke waited for michael to walk around the car to help him out. he stared at the breakfast place, rosie's, and admired the pinkish-blueish colour of the building.

'pretty' he mumbled, letting michael unbuckle him and lift him out onto the pavement.

they walked in together, michael grabbing a booth seat, gaining the attention of one of the waiters. he quickly grabs them drinks (water for michael and lemonade for luke).

'lu, what're you going to eat?' luke pondered over the question for a moment, wondering whether he should get a "big boy meal" (which was really just pancakes and eggs) or if he should just get chicken and waffles. he settled on the latter and shyly told michael, a blush coating his cheeks.

the food came fairly quickly, both boys talking about childish things, catering to luke's little-interests. michael cut up luke's chicken after the little almost burst into tears over not being able to eat it easily and quick enough.

now happily eating, he mumbled incoherent words as he made his chicken into an airplane and his waffle a landing pad.

'it's rude to play with your food' michael nearly rolled his eyes before looking across to see a couple sitting across from them. luke paused and shrunk down in his seat, suddenly aware of all of the people around him.

'it's rude to give your opinion when it isn't asked.' michael looked over at luke, who was trying his hardest to avoid the stares that were starting to come their way.

'lu, it's alright eat your food.'

'wan' go home now, mikey, please?' luke looked up with teary eyes. michael saw the look in his eyes, luke wasn't even in his headspace anymore. michael stood up and helped luke out of the booth.

'thanks alot, assholes' michael spat at the couple before leaving a rough estimate of the bill on the table and walking out.

luke stayed quiet as they made their way back to the car.

'i'm sorry about breakfast, baby. i'll make it up to you.' luke shrugged, his eyes glued to his phone, which was playing some random youtube video. michael drove silently while music hummed softly through the speakers of the car. luke's lip trembled as he blinked away tears.

luke got out of the car without the help of michael and made his way into michael's house, saying a quick and quiet hello to michael's parents.

he made a beeline to michael's room where he promptly fell onto the bed and sobbed his heart out, taking in long, deep breaths. michael walked in and sighed deeply, sitting on the bed and pulling like to lay with him.

'i don't wanna ever go out again when i'm little! it's so fucking embarrassing!' luke cried, his face buried in michael's chest. he shook as he spoke and let michael rub his back, which was actually helping alot.

'i know, i'm sorry. people can be really rude and sometimes they don't know how to just ignore things they don't enjoy themselves. not everyone has to like this.'

'i don't like this!' luke screamed, pushing off of michael harshly, 'i just want everything to go back to the way it was! i was finally just trying to accept it but i can't! i can't pretend like i don't miss my family and my brothers and my-my,' luke broke down in sobs, curling in on himself as he cried.

'luke, i know. i know that it's hard, especially since the people you loved most rejected you, but you can't-'

'don't tell me what i can't do, michael.'

the room was silent for a moment after the pair fought, allowing both of them to cool down.

'sorry, i'm just tired. i think that-'

'the agency called, they want us to go in.' michael spoke bluntly, he was aggravated with luke and he didn't feel the need to keep this awful reality from him anymore.

'for another check in? aren't those getting annoying' luke laughed softly, trying to lightening the heavy atmosphere. he noticed how michael's eyes welled.

'they found you a permanent home.'