twenty - four

luke is 'woken up' the next morning, though he never really got to sleep. he dozed off a few times, only to wake himself up in fear of michael or jacob coming to the office and not getting to see them.

'c'mon luke, it's breakfast time.' luke whined and rolled over on the small cot he was on. he was definitely tired now, but even in his exhausted state he knew he would fight sleeping as long as he could. he didn't want to be asleep when michael came to get him.

'you have to eat, buddy. i'll sit with you, okay?' luke turned to look at who was talking to him, seeing a small kid, no older than eighteen, with blond hair and blue eyes.

'your eyes look like mine!' luke exclaimed sleepily, rubbing his eyes to try and wake himself up.

'oh yeah, you're right!' luke stood up and grabbed a hold of the man's hand. he didn't know his name yet, but he was nice.

as they walked to the cafeteria, which was really just the break room for the workers, luke saw that everyone was already seated. he saw amelia and smiled to her, and she waved him over.

'lulu! gotta come sit with me.' this frightened luke a little bit, his sleep deprived brain couldn't handle it. he turned and grasped onto the worker he was with (he really needed to learn his name) and sobbed into his chest.

'hey, it's okay. i promised i'd sit with you. do you want to go sit with amelia?' luke nodded and allowed the worker to lift him up. luke hid his face into the man's shoulder as they sat down. once they were sat for a minute, luke mumbled into the man's shoulder something he couldn't make out.

'what was that, luke? did you need something?' luke nodded, whispering his question again, this time directly into the man's ear.

'oh! my name? it's niall, though when ms. fleming is around she'll want you to call me mr. horan.' luke nodded and rested his head on niall's shoulder. he was utterly exhausted and wanted nothing more than to cuddle up with michael and bun bun again, but niall had managed to make him feel better about his current situation for the time being.

luke dozed off quite quickly, listening to the conversations going on around him. niall asked him  questions every few seconds, to which luke would just hum in agreement to. luke only jolted himself awake when he heard the doors of the room open. 

'we need luke hemmings right now.' luke whimpered and curled into niall's lap even more, tears springing to his eyes. niall lifted him up and held the small boy as they approached the two doctors at the door. 

'hello, luke! how are you?' luke refused to respond to dr. fleming, he wanted to go back to sleep more than he wanted to know what was happening. she moved from the doorway and instructed niall to bring him to her office. once there, niall let him down into a chair. luke choked out a weak, 'please stay', but dr. fleming was already issuing the doctor out. 

luke pulled his legs up to his chest as he cried, wanting to go back to niall and lay with him like he had been before.

'are you alright?' luke shook his head as he attempted to calm himself down. 'what's wrong?'

'didn't sleep, 'cause wanted michael or jacob or bun bun.' luke whimpered, wiping the never-ending stream of tears from his cheeks.

'who's bun bun?'

'he's- he's my stuffie that michael bought for me when i lived with him when mummy kicked me out. left him with michael.' dr. fleming nodded, typing something on his computer. he picked at the pair of pyjama pants he had been given, noticing how tired he was becoming once again. he shut his eyes as the doctor typed away at the computer, the sound lulling him to sleep. he didn't hear the door opening behind him, or the two people that walked in. 

'luke?' luke recognized the new voice, quickly opening his eyes and turning to see two of his friends.

'a-ashy?'