twenty - seven

(hey kings and queens and in betweens! lemme know if you see any errors, i wrote this whole thing on my phone so i don't have grammerly to try and help as best it can haha)

-

'well if he doesn't go back to school soon, he's going to have some serious consequences. better yet, we'll ensure he's back in custody.' calum was on the phone with the classifications office. they had taken notice of luke's sudden absence from school. luke hadn't wanted to go to school, especially since michael would be there. he wanted to be as far away from him until he knew he could be back with him.

'look, i don't mean to be disrespectful, but he wasn't sleeping well there, and he barely sleeps well as it is. even if you wanted to, it's not in his best interest that he's back there. i'm sure you understand?' calum heard an annoyed sigh from the other side of the line, followed by indistinct crying and chatter.

'mr. hood, luke hemmings has a week to be back in school or he will be removed from your temporary care and permanently placed with a caregiver.'

-

'lu you really do have to come to school, we want to be able to stay with you until everything is sorted out.' ashton had been trying to coax luke out from underneath the bed for about ten minutes; calum's previous pleas were not enough to convince luke that going to school was a good idea.

'ashy please don't make me, wanna stay here and be 'lone.' luke cried, tears welling in his eyes making them sting. he wiped them away with the back of his hand and held onto one of calum's old stuffed animals. he really wished he had bun-bun with him right now. this thought only made him cry harder.

'i know, baby. but we have to get going, we don't have much of a choice.' luke whimpered and slowly came out from underneath the bed. he clutched the stuffed animal, which happened to be a lion, and let ashton hug him. he let a few tears slip down his cheek, watching ashton smile sadly as he wiped them away.

'you're okay, lu. you're all dressed, brushed, all we need to do is get me some makeup and then-'

'c-can i wear some too?' ashton raised his eyebrows at the little, unsure whether this would be a good idea. calum wasn't even too fond of ashton wearing makeup to school, because 'you get male attention without it, which i hate, and when you wear it even more boys want you and i get nervous' even though they had been paired and breaking up was against the guidelines.

'sure, but only a little bit. don't want too many people wanting to kiss you.' luke blushed and giggled, hiding his face behind his hands. ashton smiled while quickly taking luke to the bathroom to get his small makeup collection.

-

walking into school, luke felt very pretty. he knew he was definitely going to need to be at the daycare today, he barely even felt big enough to walk through the parking lot without holding both ashton and calum's hands. ashton had adorned him with a little bit of blush and some glitter for his eyes. he felt like a princess.

'ash, i'm going to walk him to the daycare. i'll meet you around second period?' ashton nodded and walked away, waving to luke before heading to class.

'now, i need you to be on your best behavior, okay luke? gotta be good for everyone and use your manners.' what calum didn't tell him was that they were currently being carefully watched by the classification offices. they wanted the boys to mess up so they could place luke, but calum was determined to make sure that didn't happen.

'yes cally, gonna be super good!' calum dropped the younger boy off, watching as he ran over to a few of the kids there to tell them all about his recent "adventures" and to show off his makeup'