A Prince's Knight

Marriage isn't left to the kin of the royals. The king and queen chooses a well built clan or fellow royal family to marry their children. They never choose for themselves, they just aren't allowed. It's the royal way of keeping clean blue blood in the family.

He's calm and elegant. Fragile one once said. He has the face of a porcelain doll but hair a white blonde. His parents pride and joy, sure they love the other children they had... but Ceder was there best child in their opinion.

So now they want to start planning his marriage arrangements and putting them into place. He's aware of what they are doing, he's not that pleased for his planned future he didn't plan.

They planned a ball. It has to be big, everyone across the land was welcome including the poor. They often didn't like the poor in the castle but they needed the extra body count. That night after finding out of the ball; Ceder ran off. He ran as far as he could with eyes filled with tears until he couldn't see and fell to the ground.

He sat on the dirt floor crying for a few moments until the sound of hooves pounded closer to him. Ceder raised his head from his hands and saw his designated knight. The knight not at all covered in armor but dressed in normal clothing with a very worried look adorning his face. Ceders father made sure that wherever he went his knight, James, would follow in toe. His father picked James at a young age so the two boys would grow together and be good friends; such like his own knight.

"God Ceder! Are you okay? Everyone's been looking for you!" He got off his horse and walked to Ceder, leaning down to help lift the little boy of the ground. "You cannot disappear like this again you had everyone worried sick. Including me, hell! I wasn't sure I'd find you at all!" James spoke with sadness and fear but relief as well.

He walked Ceder to the horse and gently offered him a hand of help. The boys small pale hand rested into James large ones. They met eyes for a second and Ceder quickly looked away and sat up on the horse. "Have you been crying out here?" James quietly asked the prince as he swung his legs over the horse himself. The small prince mumbled a yes behind the knight as they started to move on to the castle.

They were quiet halfway there when Ceder felt he needed to speak of why he left. "I ran because of the ball coming up in the next few days, I'm not excited to be forced to merry someone I don't know..." the prince finished his words and pushed his face into the knight in front of him and started to cry more. All James had done was said it was to be alright and that he had nothing to worry about.

Finally the boys made it to the castle. Ceders parents running to see what scratches have now adorned their son. Not asking if he's alright or why he left. That's when James couldn't hold his tongue. "Why not worry as to why he ran off your majesty's? Or is the royal family's only concern about beauty? You are more worried about your flower being wrinkled then nurturing the poor thing."

The next minute he was taken to the dungeons. Then came the night of the ball.

👑👑👑👑

The cell door creaked open while loud happy music played upstairs. James rolled over to see who was at his cell door, thinking it was most likely his dinner. He was surprised to see the little pale blonde prince at his cell door in a hood and the knights weapons. "Ceder what are you doing down here?!" James leaped up whisper yelling to the prince. Ceder looked at him and pulled him down to whisper, " I cannot bear to marry someone I do not love, nor can I live with family who see me as a trinket or a holy grail..." then pulled away just enough to kiss James softly but quickly.

Jame stood astounded by the pale boys words and actions just then. He grabbed his weapons from Ceders hands while pulling the boy closer. "Are you sure this is what you want?" James whispered. Ceder nodded yes furiously and started to pull James behind him, tossing him a cloak. They made it out of the dungeons and past most guards; making their way to the stables for horses to help them on their great escape.

The guards noticed horses gone; making the castle bustle with knights and eco with small shrieks of surprise from the people at the ball. Ceder and James already heading out into the forests where it'll be hard for hounds to even find them. When the sun started to rise the two decided they had gone far enough and made camp.

They awoke later that day and made it to another village; luckily the said village was very secluded and barely knew of the prince, let alone the king. Ceder and James stayed in the village for a couple of moons. They helped the villagers sheer and bread goats and sheep, they helped plant food and even build a house of their own.

One morning Ceder awoke to the sound of James shuffling around their home. He got up and wrapped himself into a robe, then making his way out to find his knight. James was now sitting at their table reading an old book from the library in the village, a book about the village and the kingdoms near it. Ceder walked up to the seat next to the man and sat down staring at James.

He chuckled and looked up meeting eyes with the pale one. "Your staring again... what's on your mind?" He asked kindly with a soft smile. Ceders lips curled into a small smile and he spoke softly, "Yes, my dear, I do-" he moved closer to James and sat down on his lap wrapping his arms around his neck, pecking his lips before continueing "-I want to thank you my love; for running with me away from that awful place and my horrible parents."

James chuckled quietly, " You will always be welcome my angel." He leaned up giving Ceder a passionate kiss, then heading to grab their breakfast, once returned and placed he spoke again. "I love you my prince"

Ceder blushed a bit and replayed, "I love you even more my Knight." Then hummed once he ate his food. They lived a small simple life but that was all they had ever wanted, as long as it was together it would never matter to the prince and his knight.

THE END