Kabanata 21

Kabanata 21

"I'M SORRY, HIJA, do you really think you can go there alone?" My Mom asked while fixing my hair in the mirror.

"Yes, Mamá," I answered. "I can do it, and I'm a grown up. Kaya ko."

"Pasensya na, your Dad and I has to do a lot of things. Inaayos namin ang bago permit ng patayong branch sa Manila." Paumanhin niya.

"It's alright, Mom. It's just a photoshoot." I smiled to assure her I'm fine.

"Driver, kailangan mo? Maybe, we can find someone who can drive you?"

"No, Ma." I answered. "Ayos lang,"

"Kailangan kasing dalhin ang sasakyan sa Manila, the other car is still not fixed so..."

"Okay lang," tawa ko. "Don't worry about me anymore, I can definitely do things on my own."

"Alright," she sighed, giving up.

Matapos niyang kulutin ang buhok ko at nilagyan ng clip ay inayos ko ang dress na suot. I fixed the necklace I am wearing and looked at myself in the mirror.

That looks decent, I guess.

"I noticed you wearing this necklace for years," she said, I saw her touched the necklace I am wearing and I stayed quiet, listening.

"Who gave you this?"

I cleared my throat, biting my lip.

"N-No one," I lied.

"I know someone gave you this, Lena," aniya at sinubukang hanapin ang mata ko. "I saw you a lot of times, caressing this necklace while crying in the garden."

I froze, kaagad na nag-angat ng tingin at gulat na napatingin kay Mamà.

"You...knew?"

"Of course, I knew." She sighed. "I just don't say a thing but I see you."

Hindi ako kaagad nakapagsalita at napatitig lang sa kanya.

"Ejercito," I murmured, "he...gave me this."

I saw how emotion filled her eyes but then nodded and pouted her lips, probably thinking of something.

"I thought so," she murmured. "You still like him?"

Hindi ako kaagad na umimik at napatungo lang.

"Lena, answer me," she mumbled.

I slowly nodded, staring at her. "I love him, Ma. So much."

She sighed. She brushed her hair and shook her head.

"I still don't want him for you, Lena," aniya. "No one's deserving of you."

I knew she'd say that.

"I don't deserve his love either, Ma." Malungkot kong sabi. "Pagkatapos lahat ng ginawa ko, hindi ko rin siya deserve."

I caught how her strong façade faded. Her eyes softened. She caressed my cheek and that's when I glanced her way.

"Am I a bad mother to you?" She asked at kaagad akong umiling.

"No..." I whispered.

"I-I know he doesn't deserve you but you, crying every night because I took him away from you, mas hindi mo 'yon deserve." Bahagyang napaawang ang labi ko nang nakita ko ang lungkot roon sa kanyang mga mata.

"You were just in college back then, Lena, and I only want you to be successful."

"I am successful," I said. "I took up modelling, like you wanted. I joined pageants, malapit na rin akong mag-train sa kompanya ni Papá."