To The Night Furies

Disclaimer: I do not own anything from How to train your dragon

Soon they arrived at a familiar place in the forest.

"So why didn't either of you kill us?" Hiccup wondered out loud while picking up a piece of the cut up bola.

"Are we crazy for coming back and looking for those dragons that nearly killed us?" Hicca questioned.

"We're always crazy." Hiccup answered with a shrug.

Hicca considered that and then nodded. "Good point."

The two then walked in the direction where the dragons flew off. They soon arrived at a passage of a secluded cove.

"Well, this was stupid idea that got us nowhere." Hiccup said realizing that the two dragons were probably far away from the island by now. Hicca was about to agree when something on the ground caught her eyes.

"Hiccup look!" She said picking up some black scales "Night Fury scales. Black as the sky at midnight." She stated admiring the scales.

"Yeah, hence, the whole 'camouflage at night' part."

Suddenly, they got the shock of their lives as a Night Fury came into view, making both twins fall backwards. However, it did not look like the dragon noticed both of them as it fell to the ground. Slowly and quietly Hiccup and Hicca move towards some nearby rocks and observed the two Night Furies, one male the other female, below them. The male Night Fury kept trying to fly out of the cove only to spiral downwards every time and the female Night Fury just sat there watching with a hopeful look on her face. Hicca then got her notebook and charcoal out of her satchel and started making a drawing of the female Night Fury. "I sketch one, you sketch the other." She whispered. Hiccup nodded in agreement.

When she finished, she then handed the book to Hiccup to draw the male Night Fury. As he finished his drawing, he noticed that the male Night Fury did not have a left tail fin so he erased it in his sketch.

"I don't get it, why don't you two just... fly away?" He wondered. Then Hicca noticed something.

"The female Night Fury has a left tail fin but the male Night Fury doesn't." She pointed out, and then a realization hit her as she suddenly felt guilty. "We did that. His tail fin must have torn when he crashed landed after we shot him down. That's why he can't fly away." This made Hiccup feel guilty as well. "Yeah and the female Night Fury is still here because she doesn't want to leave him behind." He added just before he accidently dropped his charcoal pencil, which fell right in the Cove, alerting the two night furies of the two humans' presence!

Hicca silently scolded Hiccup, hitting him on the shoulder before she and her brother turned to look at the Night Furies who were now staring back. For a moment no one said or did anything as both sides stared at each other with more curiosity rather than hostility. Then Hiccup broke the standstill. "Come on. We've pushed our luck enough for one day. Let's go" he said as he got up and then pulled his sister up.

One glance back to the dragons, who were still staring at them with curiosity, the twins made their way back to village just as it started to rain. Completely drenched, they then made their way to the Great Hall for dinner where they joined Gobber and the other teens, who were discussing the training.

"Alright, what mistake did Astrid make in the ring today?" Gobber asked.

Astrid answered that question herself "I mistimed my summersault dive. It was sloppy and it messed up my reverse tumble."

"Yeah, we noticed." Ruffnut said sarcastically.

"It was a horrendous mistake to make." Raeda said with equal sarcasm, while waving to Hiccup and Hicca.