The Truth Is Out

Disclaimer: I do not own anything from How to train your dragon

The day Hiccup, Hicca and Astrid dreaded came. It was the day of Hiccups' Final Exam where he will have to kill a dragon in front of the entire village. Everyone was gathered at the Arena, cheering and shouting Hiccups' name as Stoick gave his speech.

"Well, I can show my face in public again! If someone had told me that in just few short weeks, Hiccup and Hicca would go from being, well... as they are, to the top two students in Dragon Training... Well, I would've tied him to a mast and shipped him off for fear he had lost his mind.. Yes! And you know it! But here we are. And no one's more surprised or more proud than I am. Today, Hiccup becomes a Viking. TODAY, HE BECOMES ONE OF US!" He yelled in joy as the crowd continued to cheer.

Inside the Arena near the gate, Hicca and Hiccup were listening to the speech, the latter growing more and more nervous as he heard the speech. How is their dad going to feel when he finds out the truth?

Sensing her brothers' distress, Hicca turned to him "It's going to be okay Hiccup. Dad always tells us that sometimes a chief needs to make hard choices that people may not agree on based on what he believes in."

"Try not to aggravate the dragon." Astrid advised Hiccup as she came from behind, holding her axe.

"The dragon's not really my main concern right now." Hiccup said, watching Stoick take his seat.

"Please tell me you have some kind of plan." Astrid pleaded.

"We did make a plan." Hiccup said.

"It's not one hundred percent guaranteed to work, but it's the only option right now." Hicca said sadly.

"Hicca, Astrid, I need you both to promise that if something does go wrong in the Arena, then make sure no one finds Toothless and Midnight." Hiccup requested

"Of course Hiccup." Hicca promised.

"We will and we need you to promise us that nothing will go wrong in the Arena." Astrid said.

Hiccup didn't reply as Gobber came and started walking Hiccup inside the Arena "It's time, Hiccup. Knock him dead." Gobber then went to join Stoick in the stands. Just before the gate shut, Astrid use the tip of the blade of her axe as a wedge between the gate and the floor. "Just in case." Astrid told Hicca, noticing her questioning glance.

As Hiccup entered, the Vikings cheered even louder.

"Show 'em how it's done, my man!" Tuffnut yelled.

"You can do this, Hiccup! Come on!" Raeda cheered.

Hiccup walked towards the weapon rack and picked a shield and a dagger.

"Hrmph. If that was me, I would have chosen the hammer or the axe." Stoick said to Gobber.

Hiccup then stood at the centre of the Arena and called out "I'm ready."

The gates opened and out came a terrifying Monstrous Nightmare who immediately coated itself with flames and roared as it left its' cage. The dragon then climbed out from the ceiling, shooting fire at the other Vikings who managed to dodge them. It then set its' sights on Hiccup. It dropped down from the ceiling and inched closer and closer to Hiccup. Hiccup took a deep breath. It was now or never. He then threw away his shield and his dagger, much to the confusion of everyone except for Hicca and Astrid.

"What is he doing?" Stoick mumbled.

"It's okay. It's okay." Hiccup said, trying to calm down the Monstrous Nightmare. He then took off his helmet and threw it away as well. "I'm not one of them."

This caused the villagers, except for Astrid and Hicca, to gasp in shock. How could he say that?

"Stop the fight." Stoick said, not believing what he was seeing.

"No! All of you need to see this. Dragons are not the monsters we think they are. We can live in peace with them" Hiccup said, reaching his hand towards the dragon. Hicca held her breath. This is it. All he had to do now was show everyone that the Monstrous Nightmare can be tamed.

"I SAID STOP THE FIGHT!" Stoick yelled enraged. He banged his hammer against the rails and just like that, all hope Hiccup had to tame the Monstrous Nightmare had vanished as the dragon started panicking. It went on a rampage, targeting Hiccup. Hiccup screamed and started running for his life, trying desperately to avoid getting burned by the dragon.

Back at the Cove Toothless and Midnights' ears perked up at the sound of Hiccups' voice. Hiccup is in danger! Midnight already flew out of the Cove. If Hiccup is in danger, then his sister might also be. Toothless climbed out of the Cove, sinking his claws deep in the slopes so he won't fall. He finally made it out of the Cove and joined his mate as they both headed towards the village as fast as they could. They have to save their humans.

"Hurry, Astrid! We need to get in there!" Hicca exclaimed as Astrid used her axe to open the gate to create enough space for her and Hicca to slide under. They got in and Hicca ran to her brother to help him while Astrid grabbed a hammer from the weapons' rack and threw it to the dragon, causing it to chase her instead.

Stoick made his way towards the entrance and opened the gate, allowing the teens to escape. "This way!" he shouted. Astrid managed to get out just in time but Hicca and Hiccup weren't so lucky as the Monstrous Nightmare fired near the entrance, preventing either of them from escaping. The dragon then pounce on them, trapping them with its claws. Before it could blast either of them though, two roars filled the Arena as the villagers looked towards the source.

"Night Fury!" Gobber yelled.

Toothless and Midnight flew into the Arena, ignoring the shouts from the other Vikings and attacked the dragon that dared to harm Hiccup and Hicca. They were successful as they got the dragon away from the twins and made it retreat back into the cage. But then there was another problem; the Vikings. Hicca and Hiccup got up and ran to their dragons.

"Alright, Toothless, you and Midnight go. Get out of here!" He begged, trying to push Toothless to go.

"Midnight, please! You guys need to get out of here or you're both going to get captured." Hicca pleaded.

But the two dragons adamantly refused. They couldn't leave their humans behind when there was more danger around them! Many Vikings charged in the Arena and tried to attack the Night Furies, but Midnight and Toothless fought back. Stoick then charged in the Arena towards the dragons.

"Stoick, no!" Astrid shouted. But it was no use. The chief had his mind set on capturing those dragons at all costs.

"No, wait! You don't understand!" Hicca cried.

"Dad, he won't hurt you!" Hiccup shouted. But it was too late. Toothless ran towards him and attacked while Hicca managed to hold Midnight back. After a brief struggle, Toothless had Stoick pinned to the ground, and to the twins horror, was preparing to fire a plasma blast!

"Toothless! STOP!"

"DON'T Toothless, Please!"

"NOOOOO!" The Haddock twins yelled. That stopped Toothless as his pupils dilated. He looked up to the twins in confusion, when he suddenly got tackle by the other Vikings! Midnight gave a roar and rushed to help him, but she too got tackled and muzzled!

Hiccup and Hicca tried to get to their dragons but Astrid held them back, knowing it's only going to make things worse.

Stoick got up and saw the two dragons being tied by the Vikings while his two children were trying to help their enemies. "Put it with the others!" He commanded.

From the stands, Raeda was speechless along with the other teens. She was not expecting any of this to happen at all! 'Is that the same Night Fury they shot down with another one? Is this how they've been getting better in training? Why didn't they tell me?' Raeda knew her best friends better than that. She thought carefully about what would have happened if they did tell her. Would she have accepted it? After what happened to her family? Taking a closer look at the two Night Furies as they were being pulled away, she became confused. 'Are those saddles and a...prosthetic tailfin?' She then looked back at her two friends and saw how worried they were for the dragons. Her mind then went back to what Hiccup was trying to show them all before the chaos started.