The Aftermath

Disclaimer: I do not own anything from How to train your dragon

As soon as she heard her mentor say that, Hicca immediately got a closer look at her brother and saw what Gobber meant.

"His leg!" Hicca gasped. Hiccups' left leg was such a bad shape that she didn't know if she could call it a leg anymore. It was charred and bleeding and was bent at an odd angle. Gobber tried to move Hicca away from the sight while Stoick took off his fur cape to cover the leg.

"We need a healer." Stoick said.

No one made any movements until Gobber spoke up "Well?! You guys heard the chief! We need the healer fast!" The healer immediately pushed her way through the crowd and held out her hands to take Hiccup. "We're going to need to set up a tent." She said.

"We'll work on that. Just please do what you can to save his leg." Stoick pleaded.

The healer, Gobber and Hicca had uneasy looks. They knew that the leg can't be salvaged and that there was only one thing they could do. Stoick noticed the looks. "What is it?" he asked.

The healer seemed a bit hesitant in answering his question so Hicca answered. "The leg can't be saved, dad. It's way beyond repair. There's no other choice but to amputate it otherwise it could get infected which will make things worse for Hiccup than it already is. Plus the amputation is the only thing that will stop him from bleeding to death" Hicca explained. She did not want this to happen to her brother but she knew that it had to be done.

This stunned Stoick and the healer. "She's right." The healer said. Stoick wanted to ask Hicca how she knew that, but then her words registered in his mind. His son was going to lose a leg. He's only fifteen; he's way too young for an amputation. Yet here he is, going to go through a world of pain. Stoick could never forgive himself for this. "Do what you have to do." Stoick said solemnly, handing Hiccup over to the healer.

She nodded and took Hiccup. Spitelout then approached the chief "Chief. There are some Vikings who got injuries or burns from the battle and they need to be treated right away." He said. Some of the injured Vikings from the crowd nodded in agreement.

"Is there any other healer here?" Stoick asked. Everyone shook their heads no. This put Stoick in a dilemma. There were a lot of Vikings with serious injuries and the only healer available is tending to Hiccup, preparing for an amputation. What was he going to do?

"I can help." A voice said, making everyone turn to the source. Hicca came up, holding her satchel. "I can help treat their wounds." She said nervously. How were they going to react?

Everyone, except Gobber and Raeda looked, looked at her doubtfully. Yes, it is true they witness her and her brother took down a dragon the size of an island when no one else could, but this is different. Could they trust a fifteen year old to treat their wounds properly?

Noticing the doubtful looks, Hicca spoke up "I know all the steps in treating wounds and burns. Gothi taught them to me, I have them all memorised. And here." She took off her satchel and emptied the contents, revealing a notebook, a charcoal, a medical guide book and a first aid kit. "I came well-prepared, though I know you guys have packed more medical supplies.

"I think you guys should give her a chance, trust me." Gobber advised.

"Yeah, you guys will surprise at what she can do and how much she knows." Raeda added.

The others still had a little bit of doubt. Stoick then spoke up "Okay, since we don't have other options, I guess you will have to let Hicca tend to your wounds." He then remembered what Hicca had said earlier about her brothers' amputation.