The Way With Beasts

Disclaimer: I do not own anything from How to train your dragon

The next day came as a nerve-wracking moment for most of the teens. Today, they wouldn't be doing any exercises.

"All right everyone! After seeing each and every one of you perform in this Arena and I've come to a decision on the top two who will be chosen to go head to head to see who will win the honour of killing their first dragon." He then pause and continued. "This time, however, is going to be a bit different. I decided that instead of making it a top two it's going to be a top three." That got Fishlegs, Snotlout, Ruffnut, Tuffnut and Raeda more excited and nervous. That has never happened before. Obviously Hiccup and Hicca were going to get chosen for their outstanding and consistent performances, but who's going to be the third person chosen?

"The three people chosen are: Hicca, Hiccup and Astrid. Congratulations you three. Raeda, I'm sorry but you just missed out by a hair. Better luck next time."

Raeda just looked down, a bit disappointed. Hiccup and Hicca looked at her and felt upset for her and guilty. They were breezing through each training exercise with their new tricks and Raeda was struggling to keep up. They know how important it is for her to get chosen. Maybe they could have let her in on their secret. But they were not sure how she would take their secret. They befriended creatures who have been enemies with Vikings for three hundred years. The same creatures who have killed majority of her ancestors and her relatives. Would she accept their secret or would she turn her back on them and tell everyone? They weren't so sure.

"The three of you train hard and may the best recruit win." Gobbers' voice broke the Haddock twins out of their thoughts. After a round of congratulations, everyone left the Arena except for Hiccup, Hicca and Raeda.

"Hey, congratulations again guys for making it to the top 3." Raeda said to the twins.

"Thanks Rae. I'm really sorry you didn't get chosen as well." Hicca said. She truly was.

"It's fine. I wasn't really looking forward to the extra training I would have to do if I did get chosen." Raeda said a bit downcast. She then added "It's just a bit frustrating all that training I went through only to narrowly miss out the chance to really show my parents I can be a good shield maiden."

Again, the twins felt guilty. Hiccup then spoke up "Rae, you are already a good shield maiden. You don't need to be chosen for this to prove that. I can't think of anyone else who would have the courage to charge into a battlefield with nothing but bows and arrows, two easily breakable weapons, and make them look intimidating."

"Yeah, Rae. If that doesn't show your parents that you're a good shield maiden, then it's too bad for them because they are missing out on a lot of potential, not just in combat but in arts."

This made Raeda smile "Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it. Good luck against Astrid and each other. I'll be sure to get front row seats to watch you guys."

A battered ship came to the docks of Berk with its' occupants not so happy. Gobber approached the ship as the people were coming out.

"Well, I trust you found the nest at least?" He asked.

"Not even a glimpse." Stoick said, frustrated at their failure.

"Ah. Excellent." Gobber said sarcastically.

"I hope you had better luck than I did." Stoick said.

"Well, if by luck, you mean that your parenting troubles are over with, then... yes." Gobber replied

Before Stoick could ask what he meant by that, some of the villagers who stayed behind walked by him congratulating him.

"Congratulations, Stoick! Everyone is so relieved."

"Out with the old and in with the new, right?!"

"No one will miss those old nuisances!"

"The village is throwing a party to celebrate!"

Hearing that, Stoick paled and turned to Gobber "They're gone." He asked fearfully.

"Yeah... most afternoons. But who can blame them? I mean, being a celebrity can be tough. Those two can barely walk through the village without being swarmed by their new adoring fans." Gobber told him.

"Hiccup and Hicca?" Stoick asked, shocked by what he was hearing.

"Didn't see that one coming, eh? Those two have this way with the beasts."

What the two men didn't know was that the twins in question were off flying with two of the "beasts".