Bar Mitzvah

"Beatrice, wake up you have to get ready." Henry said shaking from my sleep.
It had been a couple days since I'd seen Richie or any of the losers for that matter. Today was the day. It was Stan's Bar Mitzvah and I had told him I'd be there.  I stood up and walked into the bathroom. I brushed my teeth and hair simply styling. I walked back into my bedroom and stared at the dress Aunt Birdie had left me.
"Let me in we have to go." Richie said knocking on my window.
"What?" I said opening the window.
"We have to go so, I can get ready." Richie said.
"Why don't you go get ready and come pick me up?" I asked rolling my eyes and sliding my shirt off.
"Because I'm already here." He said sliding in the window and turning around as I slide off my pants.
"Why didn't you get ready and come get me ?" I said sliding the dress on.
"I didn't want to and I don't know how to tie a tie." He explained turning around and zipping up my dress.
"Okay fine that's all you had to say." I said grabbing my cardigan.
"That dress is hideous." Richie said.
"I would take fashion advice from you but, you're wearing powder blue." I sassed back looking over him.
"You're wearing floral print." He said rolling his eyes.
"Least I don't look like half of a gender reveal." I said pushing him over.
"There we go Bab gets off a good one." Richie said raising his hands in the air.
"Hey! You're just just mad that you didn't think of it first." I said rolling my eyes.
"Oh you get one or two good ones and now you think you're a master." Richie joked standing up and fixing his shirt.
"No I know I am." I sassed back ruffling his hair.
"Alright let's get going Stan said he needed to talk to you." Richie said grabbing my shoes.
**************
"It's nice to see you again, Mrs. Uris." I said shaking Stan's grandma.
"You too Beatrice." She said smiling and kissing my hand.
"Beatrice! You came." Stan said wrapping in his arms.
"I told you I would. Jeez Ley." I said giggling.
"I need to talk to you." Stan said pulling me away from the temple.
"What's up?" I asked as we stopped.
"I may or may not have told my family you were my girlfriend so, they would stop making fun of me." Stan explained rubbing the back his neck and not looking at me.
"You did what! I don't know the first thing about being Jewish and now your family... ugh! Stanley Uris I could kill you!" I said not being able to be completely mad at him.
"I'm sorry I should've asked but all my cousins had girlfriends or boyfriends." He said looking at me.
"Fine but, you owe me one." I said crossing my arms.
"Alright but, if you can fight a killer clown you can face my family for one day." He said putting his hands on the side of my arms.
*********
"Adult hood in Derry is learning not to give a shit." Stan said as he handed his dad the microphone and walked out.
Richie stood up and clapped as I stood up form my seat in the back and followed him.
"Ley! What the..." I looked around to make sure no adults had followed us, " fuck was that?"
"I was just so tired of having to act like I can handle all the stress that's getting thrown at me." He said turning around to look at me.
I stepped down of my place on the step and walked towards Stan.
"Stan have a cig." I said pulling a pack of cigarettes out of my pocket.
"I don't smoke." He said shaking his head.
"Alright then I'll have one." I said sitting down next to where he stood.
"In front of the temple." He said taking the cigarettes away before I could light one.
"We could always leave." I suggested.
"What about Richie and I don't want your dress to get messed up." Stan stresses putting his hands on his head.
"Richie will find us.. let's go." I said standing up.
"Fine." He said finally giving in.
We sat in silence the only sound coming from the swing I sat on. The two of us sat in the clubhouse.
"What happened to us? We were all happy and then suddenly we weren't." Stan said breaking the silence.
"You wanna listen to some music?" I asked drooping my cigarette to the ground and squishing it under my foot.
"Yeah I guess." He said looking down. I stood up and walked over to the radio.
"How about some Journey? It's faithfully." I said grabbing a cassette of the table it sat on.
"Sure." He said fiddling with the buttons on his jacket.  I slide the cassette in the radio and walked back over to Stan.
I bent down and stuck my hand out.
"May I have this dance?" I asked as Stan stared at me with big eyes.
"Alright." He said grabbing my hand.
My hand rested on his shoulder as he held the other one. His handed rested on my waist.
"Richie said something about you and Mike kissing last time we talked." Stan said starting a conversation.
"Really well I don't think that's any of his business." I said resting my head on his shoulder.
"I guess not but, what was it like? Kissing someone I mean." He explained shifting his hand.
"I mean it was alright." I answered not knowing how to answer. We danced in silence
"Hey! Where in the world have you been?" Richie voice said from the latch.
"Here." I respond letting go of Stan.
"Your parents are looking for you... I mean both of you." He said sliding through the hole.
*********
"Stanley Uris!" Donald yelled form the porch. Stan looked down and kept walking.
"Before you get mad at Stan it was my idea to leave." I said standing up for Stan.
"Okay come inside Beatrice. Stan go change." Donald said looking over me.
"Do you know how embarrassed I am? First my son tells our family he's dating a girl that isn't Jewish. Then he embarrassed me in front of them. Let's not forget that after that he ran away." Donald yelled from he spot on the other side of the kitchen.
"I'm sorry sir." I said looking up from the pile of nail polish I had picked off my nails.
"Look I get it kids will be kids but..." He stopped and walked closer to me, " have you been smoking?"
"Yes sir but it was only me Stan didn't have any." I explained panic taking over my body.
"You wanna know what? The only reason I didn't follow you was because I trusted you mostly out of all those... weirdos that Stan hangs out with." He said running his hands through his hair.
"I'm sorry sir it's just my way to calm down." I said looking at the clock.
"Let me drive you home sweetheart." Andrea said grabbing the keys.
"I'll go too." Stan said standing up.
"No you'll stay here." Donald said putting his foot down.
"Donald let him go, I'm sure whatever you have to say can wait." Andrea said waving her hand dismissively at him.
***************
I sat in the bath staring at the faucet. Thinking about what happened after Stan's Bar Mitzvah. God , I was tired of boys and stupid feelings. Today hadn't been bad but, I had just gotten out of bed. The phone rang breaking my train of thought.
"I'll get it." Dad called form wherever he was in the house. A couple minutes went by and Dad's voice rang through the house again.
"I've gotta go to work anyone seen my gun?" He called clearly I'm a rush. I hadn't seen it so, I didn't say anything. I heard the door open and close and then yelling. Three gun shots rang out.
"Nothing like a little fear to make a paper man crumble." I quoted counting the words The phone rang again. The door opened again.
"It was a false alarm no need to leave." Dad called.
"What the fuck is a false alarm emergency?" I thought out loud.
************
It had been about ten minutes since the phone rang the last time. I could clearly hear the door open and then close. I heard a struggle and then silence.
"Oh shit that can't be good." I said going to lock the door.
The door fell open and there stood Henry. He was covered in blood and he held the silver knife Dad had given in his hand.
"Henry? What happened?" I asked stepping away from him and grabbing a towel.
"It's time Beatrice." He said calmly.
"T-time for what?" I stammered out.
"You know what time." He said stepping towards me.
"I don't know. Henry please, what's going on?" I asked stopping as the back s of my legs met the bathtub.
"He says it's your time." He said looking at me with insanity in his eyes.
"Henry stop." I said not moving. Henry put his arm out and pushed me. I lost my balance and fell into the bathtub.
Henry's hand met my throat and kept me underwater. I panicked and squirmed trying to push Henry off of me.
"It's time." He said pushing my head on the bottom of the bathtub. I kept squiring trying to fight him off. The scene went blurry and I thought to myself play dead. Before I could act out my idea the scene went black.