23. Decision

Our world has been surrounded by many unexplainable mysterious and phenomenon.

Year 1997

"What do you mean?"

In her bedroom, Layla was carrying one of her child in her arms while her little boy crawling on the floor beside her and Erik kneel to pick him up as he continues to speak, "You can trust me. I can protect you and our children."

She shook her head in distress, "No, you can't"

Wrapping his arms around the little boy, a year old now, and he looked up at his father in curiosity. Erik stares at his son with anxious. "Why can't I? Humanity won't hurt you if you stay by my side."

Even his voice seems to unsure, he knows that if the world knows he had a family and they will hunt them down, hurt those precious to him as what had happened to Layla near-death years ago.

Layla places her hand on his shoulder to grab his attention and stares at him in pain. "Even everything you did to protect us won't stop them from continue hunting us down, Erik." She murmurs softly, not wanting to raise her voice in front of her children. "You are humanity's worst enemy. Also, they hunt and chase me for their hunger for powers. Life isn't fair."

Looking down at the little girl in her arms, her orange-red haired that she seems to recall a certain woman she had met years ago and she could sense her daughter had powerful yet destructive energy coming from her. 'Maybe... this is the sign of the future?' She thought to herself.

The two strangers she met years ago may change the future but was it worth the changed? Will everyone that is precious to her live a long life with her in the future? Will she meet them in the future? Logan and the others...

Time will tell.

Staring deep into his eyes with determination, she speaks, "The children are not safe staying with us, Erik."

He narrowed his eyes with slight anger, "What are you planning?" Gritting his teeth slightly as he clenched his fists, trying not to lash out his power. He doesn't like at the thought of someone else taking care of his children. He trusts his powers and strong enough to protect both Layla and the children. His family. They are the only family he had left even though they both aren't officially married to each other.

"Charles." She murmurs softly, her eyes show a hint of pleading and exhausted, "I trust Charles and his people to protect them. Erik, please... until the day those people stop hunting us both, we can take our children back. Okay?"

Seeing his expression, she knows that he doesn't like the idea but what can he do? More importantly, Erik needs to stay hidden. Secure his son into his arms, he kissed his little head gently and stays like that a little longer while closing his eyes. His heart ached for not doing much and felt useless. At first, he thought to live a normal life won't get any trouble but it seems fate didn't allow him.