Reason #8

Here in my heart, you're the only one for me.

In your heart, there's no place for me.
---

"Hello everyone, we call this activity: The Hot Seat. Everyone will have a chance to sit down on the center and everyone will tell you how they feel about you." The counsellor smiled.

The Hot Seat is probably one of the worst things that a student could experience. These people who doesn't really know you will get a chance to accuse you and you won't have a chance to defend yourself because you're not allowed to talk back.

"First off, Ms. Jade Rowique." When her name was called, she immediately stood up and sat down on the center. Everyone was excited to tell her how they felt about her.

"..but wait, there's more. We will tweak the rules a little bit. The rules of this Hot Seat activity would be... everyone can ask you whatever they want to ask  and you can't lie or the lie detector would find out. Your classmates should also tell you about how they truly feel about you or the lie detector will also find out." This is just a fucking nightmare.

Who are they to invade privacy?!

"Now, you might ask why we are doing this activity. Well, our school aims to have our students to be connected to each other like brothers and sisters." What is this bullshit I smell?

"Jade, are you ready?" The counsellor asked her.

"Like I was born for it." She grinned. Sometimes, I wish I was just like Jade. She's confident, beautiful, fun, and the best person out there.

Everyone started to ask her questions and she answered everything smoothly with grace and confidence. Everyone was curious of who exactly is Jade Rowique other than being a goddess and a heiress of the Rowiques. Until that one question pops out and everyone wanted to know her answer. "Do you like Rory Andre?"

"Of course." She winked at me.

I found myself smiling and nodded. Jade Rowique is officially the sweetest person I have ever met. I don't get how people blindly look at her as the heiress of the Rowiques and not see her for her when she have the sweetest personality out there. I declare that anyone who would date her is a lucky son-of-a-gun.

Then it was Katherine's turn to speak up and she was lost for words. "..Well, uhm.. You're a good competition."

Jade looked at her seriously then smiled. "I'm glad you aknowledged that." The tension was so thick and everyone grew silent again. That was until it was my turn.

"Well, you're sweet, you're fun to be around with and you're gorgeous." I smiled. She looked away and rather looked pink. "..Thanks.."

Then it was Aurora's turn.

Wait, she's in our class?

Everyone gave her flattering comments and she answered with 'I know' each time they praise her beauty. It was my turn and I cringed at the thought. This sucks.

"Uh.... you're a cheerleader."

Everyone grew silent and Aurora's eye twitched in annoyance. "Oh wow, amazing observation." She rolled her eyes.

Even the counsellor felt awkward and shrugged it by chuckling then said, "Okay... Let's move on to---"

"No, wait. I want to hear Andre's thoughts first. The first one wasn't acceptable at all." She's really annoyed.

"....Uhm.. you irritate the shit out of me?" I rubbed the back of my head and she grew silent this time. I looked at her reaction and her hands formed to fists and her jaw was clenched. Honestly, she looks like she's about to... uhm.. cry?

Oh man, I feel bad. I have no idea she takes my opinions seriously.

"B-But even though you're irritating I enjoy your presence as well a-and my high school life would be boring without you." I added.

She silently whimpered an 'Okay' then went back to join the circle. I could feel the stares at me and I looked everywhere but these damn mammals silently judging me.

I thought they want me to be honest?!

"Next, Ms. Katherine Cassidy."

She sat down on the center and patiently answered all the questions until some idiot asked her, "So uhhh, like-- do you still hang out with Andre?"

.....Pure stupidity.

".....No."

Then somebody broke the awkward silence and asked her a question whether she prefers garlic bread or plain.

Then it was my turn to tell Katherine something. I stalled a little bit and maybe even panicked but I managed to croak out something.

"You're blonde."

I swear I could hear crickets. They were so quiet when I said that. They probably wanted something more intense.

"Uhm.. thanks."

And I feel bad since I gave the other two nice compliments.

"I find it cute on you. Uhm, you know, golden locks."

Katherine's face turned scarlet as she looked away.

After she was done, other classmates were next until it was my turn. I sat on the center as I sighed in annoyance. "Ready, Ms. Rory Andre?"

"I'd be lying if I said yes."

Then everyone asked me about... normal stuff. I was happy about it. It was Jade's turn and she gave me a smirk. "Do you have a crush on me?"

I raised a brow and also gave her a smirk. "Quite confident there, Rowique."

She giggled and winked. "Okay then, why do you like black coffee so much?"

"Because it's bitter."

Then it was Aurora's turn and she said, "I hate you."

"Thank--"

"That was a lie." The one in-charge for the lie detector almost grinned.

Aurora's face can't be painted. She looked so embarassed and lost. "I-I..."

"You like me then, dear?" I crossed my arms and smirked.

"I DON'T!"

"That was a lie again." The lie detector confirmed.

Perhaps the lie detector is broken? But I will mess with her for a little bit.

"Shut up!" She yelled at the one in- charged for the lie detector.

She looked away and said, "I don't have to explain anything. Clearly, your machine is not capable of doing its work."

I grinned. "Okay, hun."

Then it was Katherine's turn. She looked at me, as if she had a lot of things to say. She pursed her lips, clenched her jaw, and gripped her knees. I could see something in her deep green eyes that I had never seen before with her.

Longing.

She tried to speak up but she was struggling to. She bit her lip and said..

"I miss you."