XVII: Twenty Bombs At Least

❝All great changes are proceeded by chaos.❞
—Deepak Chopra

When news got around that the fighting in Moscow has ended, victorious celebrations were held in America and Britain. Yes, it's all happiness and drinking over on the home front. Why wouldn't it be? They weren't there to see the blood that was spilled. They weren't there to hear the endless cracking of assault rifles. They weren't there to duck from the bombs falling from the sky like snow.

It was nothing but a reason to get drunk and skip work for them.

For us AC soldiers, it was something completely different. Just hearing the high body count filled us with a new determination to get into action. The call could come any moment now. Any moment...

October 3, 2058.

The closest thing we get to a celebration is playing the radio louder. Luckily for us, Burr doesn't mind the radio too much. Nevertheless, hearing news about huge parties going on in Los Angeles was a bit unnerving, so we stayed on a station playing pleasant American music. It seems to entertain the soldiers quite a bit, so I have no objections.

We wait idly outside of Burr's cabin. Currently, the three Generals and two lieutenant colonels are having a "meeting". This means they're screaming at each other like little children about something that means nothing to any of them. Alexander and I asked very politely if we could join the meeting. We thought it might be good to get on the inside of the situation.

While Lee and John had no objections letting us join the meeting, Lafayette, Davidson, and Burr were completely against it. Well, majority rules.

So now we're just waiting for John to emerge. He'll surely tell us what's going on. He seldom hides any information from Alexander and me.

We stay far enough away from Burr's cabin to not seem suspicious, but we remain near enough to see when they leave. In the distance, I can see a large group of soldiers gathering ominously. Alexander and I had been vaguely paying attention to this cluster, but it doesn't catch our attention. Only when Peggy comes up to us and explains the situation does it earn a little intrigue.

"So apparently one guy from the French AC called a girl from the British AC a 'blow-job Barbie'," Peggy whispers as though it were some secret information she has been ordered to protect.

Alexander laughs at the name, "That's pretty funny."

"Well, the girl didn't think so. I think she's going to fight the guy!"

"Are you kidding me?" I frown in concern. "Burr will have everyone's heads if there is any infighting!"

"It's interesting nonetheless," Peggy winks. "Scandalous even. It's symbolic of the ever-deteriorating relationship between France and Britain."

I consider her suggestion for a moment, then nodded. The relationship between France and Britain has been on the rocks for a long time now. I'm not exactly sure why, but I know a lot of political factors come into play.

I stand by my belief that politics should be irrelevant in a place like Valley Forge. We're here to fight side by side. There's no need to get violent with each other.

"I bet you know how to fight," Peggy says, nudging me playfully.

I glance at Alexander, but his attention is focused on the growing crowd. "What makes you say that?" I ask.

"I mean, you took on Lafayette, didn't you?" Peggy smiles. "You were able to hold him off for a long time even though he's like a trillion times bigger than you! That's skill right there, (Y/N)!"