XXII: Eleven O'Clock Conversation

❝A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.❞
—Josh Billings

Search and rescue missions never seem worth it, especially if there is no guarantee we'll even find anyone.

Tomorrow we'll go on our next mission, and it's the last mission I wanted to do.

Backtrack a little. Let me explain.

We returned to Valley Forge, trying to forget the spy incident. Shortly after, we got info that Nikolai Ivanovich will be visiting the main Russian base in Ukraine. Not only that, but the Russian forces that once stood to guard the Ukranian border have been pulled back to this base. This information was very easily obtained as it was televised on many Russian news channels.

It was meant for Russian eyes only, but we have our ways.

Anyway, news eventually leaked that Nikolai wanted to meet with a "very important figurehead" in their Ukraine base. Naturally, we assumed this figurehead was Thomas Castle.

And since the goal is to find and save Castle, that's where we'll be sent for our mission. In addition, we want to destroy and subdue the base. The capture of that Russian base very well may be a large step in taking back all of Ukraine.

My palms sweat and stomach churns at the thought of this mission. It's like Washington is completely oblivious of what he just ordered! Ukraine is Voyna territory! The Russians own it! We won't be able to even get ten miles close to the country without getting attacked by Russians, even if the troops were pulled back! Not to mention the base we're getting sent to is one of the most heavily armed and protected bases in the goddamn world.

How the hell are we supposed to just waltz in?! The entire fucking mission is suicide and everyone knows it. In fact, my fellow soldiers have begun writing up wills!

Lee and John openly expressed their resentment to the plan, but Washington refused to pull out. Lafayette seemed to like the mission plan.

I was in the meeting room when the Generals contacted an aide of Washington's. They argued a lot, which I expected. But what I didn't expect was the aide to say this: "As AC troops, you must be willing to lay down your life should it be demanded. No questions ask. Your purpose is to die for the advancement of the war. Accept it."

It was cold. It was harsh. But it was the truth. We were supposed to learn and accept this back during AC training. I suppose I almost forgot. Someone has to die, and it will be us. For the war...

Valley Forge looks sadder than I remember. Maybe it's just the illusion that the ever-decreasing temperature gives. Maybe it's just because we've gone down several soldiers since we've last been here. Maybe it's because I'm still worried that someone will somehow figure out I was the one who freed the Russian.

Who knows? As for now, I'm trying to act natural.

November 3, 2058.

Most soldiers have made a full recovery, including Burr and Davidson. That's excellent, considering that we're mere breaths away from our mission tomorrow.

Burr and Davidson are spending the morning explaining all the little bits of the plan to every soldier. This rundown includes crucial information regarding the communication system since we can't use radios or earpieces.

Unfortunately for Alexander and me, we were ordered to help direct something very important: About forty AC Air Force fighter planes, military jets, and transportation aircrafts landed in the large field by Valley Forge this morning. With special directions written down by Burr, Alexander and I are directing the movements and placement of... several things.